Commercial Salmon Trolling Forum

How to keep spoons nice?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.

Re: How to keep spoons nice?

Postby JKD » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:46 pm

Flyer - I make my own aluminum jump rings out of soft aluminum wire - they make a difference in keeping my spoons bright. I usually make 2 passes through the hook ring and the hook's eye and then a simple twist with a pair of needle-nosed pliers to crimp the ends of the wire together.
JKD

Postby Sobie2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 am

My father keeps his spoons in a plastic bucket full of freshwater with maybe a few drops of lemon Joy dish soap in it. Been doing it this way for 30+ years. When done fishing in they go. I seem to remember that when Costco came to Juneau he moved to the Red Vines plastic container with the top... I don't think the black licorice fishes as good as the red vines... just kidding. But he uses the tub because it is pretty durable and has a good seal-able top, and there is always a supply of red vines on board.

Sobie2
Sobie2

Postby Big Chinook » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 am

JKD could you post some photos of what they look like?
Big Chinook

Postby Lulu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:25 pm

My 2 cents:

Like Salty, everything is tied and ready to go before the season starts. It is all organized in the pit so I can replace quickly. A twisted leader gets tossed forward. I'll deal with it later
Crimp your hooks at home on a vise. Nice even pressure doesn't stress the metal, too much
Keeping bright spoons like new is as simple as rinsing with fresh water when you're done for the day. Rinse them, dry off with paper towel, hang in the cabin.
I like the Jinki sleeves better than Frank's. I think this has to do more with my crimper than the actual quality of Frank's sleeves
One sleeve is all it takes, I do crimp twice on each one. I loose so few fish with sleeves its not worth mentioning
Wash your hands before tying gear. Salmon smell parts per billion verses humans at parts per million. They smell that tobacco on your hands, Salty
Keep everything out of the sun unless its being used.

And #1 thing to do, protect your gear from odor(s), like diesel fumes, with freezer grade food bags. Zip locks are the best, but anything works.
Lulu

Previous

Return to Getting Started