Clothing

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Clothing

Post by joeman79 »

Greenhorn here, going be on a troller for a month what would be your personal suggestions for pants and shirts. Rain gear and footwear is taken care of. I know I have read some stuff on here about not wearing Cotton. I have several wool sweaters I wear hunting, but besides ripstop nylon Wrangler Rigs All I have is denims. Leaving in 30 days so need to get some ordered. ANy suggestions would be great on both Shirts and pants.
Thanks,
Joe
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Clothing

Post by yak2you2 »

It's hooded sweatshirts for me most of the time. cotton? Yeah, so bring a few pairs, if one gets wet, hang it up and put on another. I like a nice deep hood pulled over my baseball cap to keep my head warm. sunglasses though good for safety, usually get wet, so I like the visor on the ball cap to block the sun. Carhart pants are rugged, and generally a good working pair of pants, but a lot of the time they are a bit to much under raingear. helly Hansen makes some cool fleece pants that wick away moisture and are warm as can be. Sweatpants are pretty common. Lots of hopping in and out, and climbing up and down, the easier it is to move, the better off you'll be.
A good Stormy Seas jacket with the built in inflatable vest sure is a good idea.
Don't forget to get a Victronox knife with a hard sheath and tape it on to the suspender strap of your raingear, never know when having a knife you can reach quickly might be important.
Good luck.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

socks and more socks... at least 1 per day. While you may be pitching fish every 3 to 5 days, showers and laundry may only happen when your low on fuel and have only fish and rice to eat. Yak is right about loose clothing. Sweat pants(3) and hoodies (4 the sleeves get wet daily) Rain gear over the sweats is enough for 9 outta 10 days for warmth. Extra ball cap, the 1st one will fall overboard within the first 4 days. The sunglasses are a must have item too. I suggest polarized, the glare from any sun will make seeing into the water near impossible and may cause you to miss gaff fish. Your skipper should be able to answer all these questions and pass through the local home port stores will fill out your dufflebag.
frozenatsea
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by frozenatsea »

forget the Levi's or or any other cotton pants while out fishing. Wear fleece pants, preferably with summer weight fleece long underwear. This combo is the most comfortable and keeps you dry. Most everyone wears cotton hoodies but if you can find a "windstopper" fleece hoodie at a good price, that's what I would use.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ericv »

Joe, check the local Thrift shop or Army Surplus for working clothes at a cheap price, they often have wool shirts and fleece tops and bottoms. Second hand clothing carries less heartburn when it gets destroyed.

I'd encourage non-cotton material. Lots of sports T-shirts out there that are non-cotton for those rare hot days. Fleece dries quickly, wool is stout, silk, poly pro etc can fill out the kit. Sweat, wind and rain will occur, this type of gear will still keep you warm. Mild hypothermia is a silent killer and a leading cause of injury. Your body will roar through billions of calories per day to stay warm, the right clothing will help stave this off.

I do not have a single hooded sweatshirt on aboard our vessel. Why? A leading cause of survival suit failure is due to the neoprene survival hood not being secured, the face shield not secured and the zipper not pulled all the way up. Those 3 things are absolutely critical for the suit to do its job. The most common root cause? a balled up sweatshirt hood that prevents one from completely securing the suit for water tightness.

While dockside, try this with a hooded sweatshirt on: In 60 seconds, dump out your survival suit, get into it un-assisted, get the neoprene hood fully in place, suit zipped to the top and face flap secured. Chances are you'll herniate yourself trying to do this thanks to that balled up cotton hood. Now imagine this in a sinking or capsize moment without assistance.

I want to keep this thread going about clothing so another "New Topic" could expand on the survival stuff if someone so chooses. A workable solution is non-hooded fleece, wool sweaters etc. As stated above, have a few hats with brims for the nice days, grab a wool or fleece cap for the nasty days.

Regardless Joe, come seasons end you'll have many memorable stains, rips and foul odors on your clothing that will bring back lasting memories, attract cats and thoroughly repel the black tie/white glove types.

Eric
salmon4u

Post by salmon4u »

good ideas. I'd have to add that when doing monthly drills you'd probably find out that you could just pull off that hooded sweat shirt before getting into your survival suit.
One tip I learned is to keep plastic grocery bags in your suits. I suppose many already know this, but putting them on your feet helps your cloths to slide into your suit easier.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Don't forget safety glasses with uv protection.
kalitan97828

Post by kalitan97828 »

A good buy can be had at Cascade Direct. There is a water proof windproof moutain jacket avalable as a factory second for $60.. It sure serves me well and is great for hunting as it is quiet.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

While on my adventure this past summer I wore my Classic Wool sweaters, Wrangler Rigs Nylon work pants with polypropleyne Long underwear, a pair of wool light hiker wool socks under Sealskin waterproof socks, and Keen H2O waterproof sandals. I stayed warm and nearly dry all the time and of course when it rained I wore raingear.
Needless to say I am hooked on trolling and will be back someday in my own Troller. It is probably gonna take a year or two but I have a plan and a goal and I am well on my way to reaching it .
1 more year and my youngest daughter will be out of high school and then hopefully I will be able to find a buyer for my businesses and head north.
I am constantly searching the Boat Broker sites for a possible boat, and permit. Found a couple I am very interested in but I am going to hold off for a year.
Thanks for all your tips and I will be here on the forum probably way to much.
Thanks,
Joe
Jon

Post by Jon »

Capilene for long underwear and long sleeve undershirts. This material wicks moisture amazingly well, keeping you dry and warm. This is a base layer, and can be worn by itself in decent weather.

Bama Socks. These blue booties go over your socks, inside your xtratufs. They wick moisture from your feet, keeping your feet completely dry. Everyone I know who has tried these, swears by them now. Two pair should last a season and lets you rotate pairs when one pair 'fills up'. :)