Knives

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Bill M

Knives

Post by Bill M »

I've been out fishing on and off this summer on a boat and his knife is killing me. I've got a great fillet knife but is is sans spoon which saves time. His can't seem to hold an edge for more than a single fish. Anyone have a brand & model recommendation?
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Knives

Post by yak2you2 »

Pretty hard to beat a Dexter/Russell. They cost more, but you get it back in logevity. For a cheap knife I've got a couple called a " Lazer". They seem to last for a little while. Easy to sharpen, until it gets little knicks in the blade. Doesn't hurt so bad when you drop one over though.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

The absolute best I've ever seen is called a Mora. They're made in Sweden, and a dream to use, even the spoon works better. They're expensive though, and it'll ruin your day when you drop one over.
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

The Mora looks like a great knife. I assume you are talking about the basic fisherman 796? I can't seem to find anywhere online in the US to order one though.
mswkickdrum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by mswkickdrum »

pac net twine had them, not in US but I had no problem with them shipping hooks to me.

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/index ... ggcvakaauz
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

You didn't mention if it was for salmon.The Mora seems like the good quality knife.The trick which one has to figure out is how to sharpen it properly.If you hit it with a steel/diamond rod the wrong way ie angle you will have a short lived knife.I went thru this with my deckhand this summer.He ruined two knives iin short order with a steel,at 20 bucks plus a shot .He figured it out as the season progressed.The Mora takes a edge very well and they are consistent quality.
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

Cut an old garden hose in 3 inch sections. In one end slide a red handled Victrionix serated edge knife in the other a large tablespoon available by the dozen at garage sales. Get the strong kind. 3 or 4 usually get me through the season. Pull em apart at the end of the day and clean. They stay nice and sharp for a long time. Should'nt have more than 4-5 bucks invested in each knife.
pioneercmt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by pioneercmt »

The Victorinox red handled serrated knife works great, but I cant keep mine sharp enough after cleaning 5 or so large salmon. Is there a trick to maintain their edge? They are wet with saltwater in the gaff hatch area, maybe I should store them in freshwater immediately after use on each fish?
1973 36' Westport FG Troller. They call it 36', but actually closer to 35', and documented at 32.7'. Detroit 6V-71N. Cruises 6 knots with 4 blade 20RH18 (slow salmon prop, a little dinged). With 3 blade 24RH20 (everything else prop), cruise is 8.8 knots @1380 rpm. 4 spool Hasbra. 17" Junes block. 300 gal fuel. 10 gal water (going to add more). Standard Ice hold (but I put bonars in there and slush). Aluminum 3000 lb crab insert when crabbing.