becoming a hand troller fisherman

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
kalitan97828

Re: becoming a hand troller fisherman

Post by kalitan97828 »

A former teacher on my staff when I was a High School Principal has authored a book intitiled Alaskan Troller. If you will send me your address via private post I will send you a copy. Also I was on Craigs List Seattle under boats and there was a small troller for sale there which might give you some ideas. I think it was for sale for about 12 K.

Carl
mgriffin
Spammer?: No

Post by mgriffin »

Thanks for all the input. You guys have been very helpful, and kalitan97828 I will try and look at the ad on craigslist. You know I found a great boat also, here: http://www.dockstreetbrokers.com/listin ... hp?id=1533

Mike
Katlian
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Katlian »

I have been enjoying this thread. I feel that I would be remiss to not interject my economic view into the proposition of a life in fishing. I think a recipe for success is in order. Aside from the life that we all love, here is a plan for financial and lower stress success.

Step 1: get a job as a crewman on any troller
step 2: get a job as a crewman on a highliner troller
step 3: pay attention, learn how to troll.
When step three is accomplished, repeat steps 2 and 3 for good measure
step 4: skip hand trolling unless you have a flexible,high paying job with benefits and a retirement package.
step 5: get into power trolling
step 6: move quickly into either chum trolling of freezing. The other alternatives are successful only for the few, unreasonably talented fisherman.
step 7: build or buy your retirement vessel

a quote to support my recipe: "I do not know of very many ice trollers who make their entire living from trolling. I do know an awful lot of freezer trollers who make all of their income from trolling."

slr

slr