Renaming a Boat

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Renaming a Boat

Post by joeman79 »

Ok all you longtime Trollers I have a question for you. Probably a dumb question. I want to buy a troller and when I do, I would like to rename it. Is there anything wrong with that? Is it bad luck? But in all the reading and research I have done the past 2 years, and all the forum threads it seems all the vessels changing hands have carried on the name. I sure do not want any bad JUJU following me around SE Ak.
salmon4u

Re: Renaming a Boat

Post by salmon4u »

bad luck to change a name.. unless you have a virgin pee on the bow
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

It is only bad luck to change a name if you do a half assed job of it. Changing a name can bring good luck if done correctly.
You must completely remove the old name. Not just paint over it. Remove all paper work with the old name.
Get 2 bottles for the name ceremony. One for the vessel. This bottle will bet broken on the bow and poured onto the boat.
The second bottle is for you and your company.
Have fun and honor you newly christened vessel as you would like her to honor you.
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by latitudes »

So I'm hoping to be in a similar situation soon, to re-name a boat. The boat is now on it's 3 rd name, originally being called the Nordford. I'm wondering if it would be best to change it back to the original name, or change it again to the Rose-Marie named after my 2 daughters who will be fishing with me at times. The both assure me that the qualify under post 2 above, and would be willing to do so if that's what it took. What do ya think? Back to the original, or on to name number 4?

Thanks,
Joe
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

My vote for you is the Rose-Marie, not only is it a beautiful name but it is named after your daughters.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I vote that you should name your boat the Rose-Marie. A boats name should be something that means something to you, or else its just a label on your documentation. My family has renamed several boats after relatives. It makes the boat part of the family. And nobody peed on the bow without getting yelled at. Honestly, as traditions go, that one sounds a little weird. I look forward to seeing you out there, whatever you end up calling your vessel.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

I also really like Rose Marie very much! My kids always bring me good luck! They will really appreciate it someday, its not everyday somebody names a boat after you!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Not to steal your thread or change the subject but here is a little of my personal history with boat names which may or may not help but is a good excuse for another story.

My dad bought a boat in Wrangell in 46 named the "Ma". He renamed it the "Salty".
He bought a boat in Ketchikan in 52 named the "Nohusit". It was so unique he kept it.
I named my first boat the "Kokanee" and spent the summer of 75 trying to catch sockeye on a fly in SE.
I named my second boat the "Hootchie" because it was the color of my favorite hootchie.
My third boat was named the "Sudan" after Sue and Dan Campbell who built it. I never really bonded with that boat enough in the five years I owned it to rename it.
I bought my mother and Bill George's boat the "I Gotta" in 1986. For some reason they both had different stories at different times on the origin of the name. My best understanding is that those two people, both retired with good retirement packages, when asked why they were going fishing in their "golden years" both often replied "I gotta".
Part of the unspoken deal when I bought the boat was that I wouldn't change the name. Mom died two years ago and I have thought about renaming her, after my wife, my favorite bay, the wonderful salmon I pursue, the art of our business, etc. But, the name that best describes me and my operation is already taken: deFISHent. So, I am thinking of keeping her till I retire or keel over, and keeping her name in memory of my parents but also because it has come to describe why I keep fishing. "I Gotta".
Hotspott

Post by Hotspott »

I am a little biased since I fished on the Nord Fjord (don't forget the "j") back in the 70's and 80's in BC. It was then on its' second owner, a Norwegian, who bought if from, surprisingly, it's Norwegian first owner......Elling Reite. Elling was one heck of a fisherman....I still remember the time we were fishing beside Elling in Hecate Strait around the opening of cohoes which at that time was June 15. He was getting 4 - 500 a day (we were only getting 2 -300) but this wasn't good enough for him....so, he took off for the Fairweather Grounds (Canadians could still fish there at that time) and came back to Prince Rupert with 10 000 lbs of smileys (large kings). Fishing behind him was extremely frustrating as you watched him pull fish while your lines occasionally got the odd stray one. So, it has good history going with it's original name.
After the second owner retired, I believe it became a prawn boat...and now, I guess, a troller again. I really loved those teak decks!!
Attachments
1999-0006-01440.jpg
1999-0006-01440.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 12979 times
Last edited by Hotspott on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotspott

Post by Hotspott »

Oh, and you will notice, it was two words: Nord Fjord
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by latitudes »

Hotspot, thanks a bunch for the history and the spelling correction. The boat is the same one and still in good shape. Hope to be fishing it off WA this summer. There's a lot of history on boat names. The pic is great. I'll pm you my e mail and if you could send it that would be awesome.. Thanks again.
Hotspott

Post by Hotspott »

Sure...I might have some other pictures as well...and maybe some other stories! I await your pm
dilligaf

Post by dilligaf »

Here's the straight scoop. If the boat is fiberglass, aluminum, cement, or steel, it doesn't matter. If the boat is wooden, it lives, breaths and has a soul. Don't change the name unless that is the only way you can get away with stealing it.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

Joe, here's a dialed in troller in Campbell River BC. I bought the "Tellus" (Roman godess of mother earth) there this fall and renamed it "Leah D" after the love of my life, my wife.

37' deltaga fiberglass troller(unlicensed)built in 1973, full electronics, new auto pilot,6 cyl. diesel engine. with or without salmon gear.located at a wharf in campbell river. for more information call 250-923-4708 ask for Gus. Trolling gear available.

Good luck
Dan Lakip, F/V Leah D