Gurdie vs Gurdie

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Axel
Spammer?: No

Gurdie vs Gurdie

Post by Axel »

Hello again. We need to get a pair of gurdies for our boat. The oracle of Google doesn't have any info on ratings of all the gurdies out there. We ran Kolstrand gurdies in the past but aren't committed to one manufacture over another. Between Simplex, East Hope, Hasbra and Kolstrand, which is the best? Are there some glaring weaknesses of one over the others? Mostly, we want to know about known maintenance issues or problems.

Reading though this forum, it sounds like there are a few East Hope advocates. Why do you all like them so much?

Thanks.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Gurdie vs Gurdie

Post by Salty »

I love my easthopes. Used one set from 88-2010. Hardly ever touched them. Fished humpies, dogs, and lingcod with them or they would still be on the boat. Got a good deal and had a set rebuilt or Iigjt still be using the originals.

In my view there was as much of an improvement going from Pacific King and Kolstrand to Easthopes as there was from hand to power.

Simplex is also reputed to be top of the line.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

I've seen a lot of Gurdies for sale on Craigs list the past month. I've only used one type and other than cleaning ( a little spoon polish on the brakes ) keeping the blood washed off, and minor adjustments they have worked just fine ( Oh and food grade grease). Some one like Salty, who has used different types, would know more than I.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Food Grade Grease! Wow, someone else has mentioned it for the first time in my trolling career. Thank you mydona. Did you get the idea from a previous post here or did you also figure it out? Years ago I talked to a maintenance guy at Sitka Sound Seafoods while he was greasing machinery and noticed that the grease was different. He told me they were required to use food grade grease in the plant. So I started using it on my gurdies since there was always water running around them and grease leaching onto the deck. For years I had to get my grease from Sitka Sound. In the last few years Petro Marine has been carrying it here in Sitka.
Whatever gurdies you use, grease them often, and use food grade grease.
salmon4u

Post by salmon4u »

OK... I'll use food grade grease... love that you guys thought of that!
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

I remember food grade grease too. But I don't know where this is to be found. Any info on that?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

http://www.chevronlubricants.com/produc ... cants.aspx

Here is the chevron page. Type in food grade grease and all kinds of links come up.

I get mine here in Sitka at Petro Marine.