Emergency Power Source for Communications

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
pioneercmt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Emergency Power Source for Communications

Post by pioneercmt »

Hello all,

I just bought a commercial salmon troller, and am trying to make sure everything is up to code as far as Coast Guard safety regulations go. One thing I see is that 46 CFR 28.375 that says in part (a) and (b),

§ 28.375 Emergency source of electrical power.
(a) Each vessel must have an emergency source of electrical power which is independent of the main sources of electrical power and which is located outside the main machinery space.
(b) The emergency source of electrical power must be capable of supplying all connected loads continuously for at least 3 hours.

Was wondering how you guys satisfy this requirement for your vessels? I have an alternator on the engine in the engine room. But, the two 8-D batteries are located in a box outside of the engine room, at my feet at the helm (the box doubles as my foot rest). Assuming these batteries can power the SSB and VHF for 3 hours, would these qualify? I'm guessing the "main source" of power in this case would be the engine driven alternator?

Alternatively, I was thinking of getting a 3 output battery charger, and having one of the batteries located outside of the engine room somewhere, dedicated to the radios, maybe isolated by a breaker.

I also have a gas operated honda generator that I use to power the HPS lamps, which I suppose I can use one of the 120 VAC output to plug into the shorepower receptacle to power the battery charger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Frank
1973 36' Westport FG Troller. They call it 36', but actually closer to 35', and documented at 32.7'. Detroit 6V-71N. Cruises 6 knots with 4 blade 20RH18 (slow salmon prop, a little dinged). With 3 blade 24RH20 (everything else prop), cruise is 8.8 knots @1380 rpm. 4 spool Hasbra. 17" Junes block. 300 gal fuel. 10 gal water (going to add more). Standard Ice hold (but I put bonars in there and slush). Aluminum 3000 lb crab insert when crabbing.
salmon4u
Spammer?: No

Re: Emergency Power Source for Communications

Post by salmon4u »

I've got a twelve volt battery in a box on the flying bridge, switchable.