capt or puller

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
rookie
Spammer?: No

capt or puller

Post by rookie »

We had this talk this weekend being capt if I get the fish to bite it up to the puller to land the fish. We had 3 nice hits this weekend an nothing to show for it. Thank god that he gets a percent of the days catch. So whos in fault ?????? Like I told cody , capt is always right craig
JKD

Re: capt or puller

Post by JKD »

Hi Craig - I don't know anything about your situation (i.e., experience) but it sounds like the captain's "fault" they didn't bite well enough to hook properly. Unless the puller loses it at the side of the boat I always take the blame as the captain. What you just experienced was how a lot of days will unfold on a troller - as the captain it is your job to keep such days to a minimum or you will have to face the obvious consequences.

While assessing blame is a frequent and natural response I never found it to be a very productive method of figuring out why a boat isn't producing. Like it or not the captain is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on a troller (or any commercial fishing vessel for that matter). He is responsible for using the best information available and putting the boat in the right place to catch the salmon being targeted; he is responsible for placing the gear at the right place in the water column to attract the fish showing on his electronics; he is responsible for the best possible gear arrangement and the condition of the point of each and every hook.

I try to remember that every situation on a troller should be approached as a question. "Why didn't those fish stick on the gear - maybe I am trolling too slow (or too fast)." After you have figured out the answer to enough of your daily questions you will also notice that your logbook is showing fewer and fewer "goose-eggs" and more and more fish will be going across the scales when you return to the dock. Everyday is a learning experience - take full advantage of the opportunities each day out on the water will show you. Best of luck!
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

JKD - nice post. Maybe the Captain left the boat in the trough? Or didn't train the crew correctly? or or and if. mostly it's not a blame game it's fishing. :D Friendly bantering does make the long days shorter. Better luck next time
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I always figure the crew is always doing their best at landing fish and never get on their case for lost ones. I show them the fundamentals of how we handle landing fish on my boat which includes unavailing the leader from the wire every time. We emphasize safety and it is unsafe to be landing fish with the leader on the wire.
I also insist that we handle the leaders without wrapping them around your hand.
Interestingly enough, one of the most difficult challenges for new hands is conking. I coach that technique by both demonstration and encouragement.
I did have a friend lose two thirty pounders in a row after getting them halfway over the rail. I laughed so hard after the second one I almost hyper-ventilated. I must confess to ribbing him a bit the rest of the trip when we had a good strike on his side as to whether he "needed" help.