Skiff vs. Kayak?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Skiff vs. Kayak?

Post by Once and Future »

I saw in someone's pictures a guy in a kayak paddling around a remote anchorage to socialize. I was thinking that it might be a handy idea to carry a kayak instead of a skiff for a quick jaunt around in the evening. Anybody have any opinions to the contrary? One negative I can think of is that it wouldn't be very handy for a lard-butt like me to board a kayak in a pinch - or maybe even not at all. What is anybody elses' experience?
Rusty
Spammer?: No

Re: Skiff vs. Kayak?

Post by Rusty »

Them sea kayaks are like 10 to 14 foot long, kind of hard to stow. If you do get one put on your survial suit so when you roll over looking for herring balls you have a better chance of popping back up. :shock:
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ericv »

The old dockside physics says: If your body is wide of beam, your draft is deep, displacement steep and each year finds your boot stripe painted higher - stick with a beamy tender :D
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

I have a both a skiff and kayak for paddling around. The skiff is nice for family, friends and gear. but hard to launch and haul back aboard.

I got a 10 foot plastic kayak from Costco for less than $400. It came with a paddle and seat. No spray skirt though. It has a wide beam and large cockpit (I haven't been able to find a large enough spray skirt...). Anyway, it is easy to launch, stable enough to stand on and get in, easy to haul back aboard and very convienient.

kj
codfoot

Post by codfoot »

In a bumpy anchorage, I've found my inflatable to be much easier to get into than my bouncing, pitching kayak. The kayak;however, is fun on a nice calm evening.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

I've got 2 kayak they work ok in calm waters.It get a bit dicey in anything but calmer waters.My crew always like to row around some at the anchorage,I enjoy the peace at the end of the day on the boat.A skiff would be safer overall.But the kayak has its merits like paddling up Sea level slough.I even use the two kayaks for hunting one for the deer one for me, only in the right conditions.Good luck,be safe.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

I got one of those west marine orange 8 foot kayaks for about $300 a couple years ago and I think it is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. First off it weighs about 30lbs and is really easy to move around and stow. Also it has a wide beam and is very stable getting in and out of in bouncy conditions. My brother has a couple of full sized touring kayaks and they are by far less comfortable.
I use it all the time. Its nice to get off the boat and go exploring or paddle over to visit friends. I find it way easier than pulling poles and putting out lines. I also have a zodiac. In the 3 years I have had my kayak, the zodiac has never been in the water.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I believe that I have a similar kayak to kjwelder, perhaps a bit smaller. I have had it since I started trolling, and have never had trouble with it. I have taken it into some of the nastiest surf around without tipping over, but it was probably stupid of me. It is handy to have though, as a guy can pack it back into a lake, go up a river, or just quitly wander around a remote bay. A skiff with an outboard can't be as peaceful. Mine even has room for a deer, if one was of such a mind. I make a point to have an inflatable when I can though. I hardly ever use it, but there are times when more than one person is on board, or the beachcombing is especially bountiful.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance