What is a good engine and gearbox

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Thorne Isl.
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

What is a good engine and gearbox

Post by Thorne Isl. »

Hello all,
All info will greatly help.
I am looking to re power my troller. I have been looking at Isuzu, Cummins and John Deere, Gardner.
What has been, what you think, the best engine and gearbox for longevity, quiet, price,
and fuel consumption for trolling.
I have a 40 ft x 11.9 x 6.3 hull. 10,000 pound hold. It had a engine with a borg warner 3 to 1 gear, now gone.
Oh ya, Do you know any good sources for used engines and gears. Just can't swing the brand new ones now.
Great forum, keep up the good work.. Great to see people sharing great information!
Thanks ,,,
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: What is a good engine and gearbox

Post by carojae »

You've listed some fine engines. I personally have a john deere, I like it. I've heard some cool things about gardners, "quiet" comes to mind.
My (stall) neighbor had a suzi and it was like a sewing machine. Don't know much about cummins except that a lot of bigger boats use them.

Gears.

All I have to say about gears is STAY AWAY from Borg Warners. Their velvet drive is commonly called the "cheese drive" for good reason. They incorporate a "drive plate" that is junk. borg Warner can't stand up to the slightest abuse such as merely throwing it in reverse and you'll have to change the clutch pack. Headache.
I've had a Twin Disc and it has been working non'stop since I put it in 17 years ago. Change oil once in a while, thats it.

$0.02
Thorne Isl.
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Thorne Isl. »

Thanks for the input.
All info is appreciated!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I agree with carojae, good advice. I too have lived and suffered with a "velvet drive". But not for many years now.
captain58

Post by captain58 »

As a previous poster has said, all the engines that you have mentioned are good ones, I also echo the sentiments regarding borg warners. I personally prefer twin disc for a transmission. I am currently repowering my troller, which has a 471 jimmy, and putting in an Isuzu 6bd1 turbo. There is nothing wrong with the jimmy, it runs fine, slobbers lots of oil and the sound makes me want to jam a pencil in my ear :D . I have used the Isuzu I am installing in a gill netter and it is quiet, uses about half the fuel of the jimmy and none of the noise. I am a believer, also my gen set is Isuzu so I will only need about half the spare parts than if I stayed with the jimmy.
bearhair

Post by bearhair »

I'm looking at a boat with a 471 jimmy in it. Sea trialed it and the boat performed well but my ears sure took a while to recover. I've found a recently rebuilt Mitsubishi 165hp with hurth gear. Any thoughts on that combo?