Paperwork to transport Canadian vessel into USA

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
kaysea

Paperwork to transport Canadian vessel into USA

Post by kaysea »

Hello,

I am in the process of buying a Canadian boat and would like some input on what I need to do to transport the boat into a US port? I understand I cannot document this vessel but can register it in the State I reside in. I have already started the process to get the boat admeasured but just want to cover the basics before I start my voyage back to Alaska. Since I have started this process I have learned it is a good idea to hire a Border Broker or Entry Broker to have all paperwork in place. Has anybody out there used such a broker? If so, how much did it cost? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. :?

Thanks, Ed
saltyfish
Spammer?: No

Re: Paperwork to transport Canadian vessel into USA

Post by saltyfish »

I brought a troller on Vancouver Island last winter and used Pacific Custom Brokers (604) 538-1566 when I came into Port Angeles for the first time. They did a great job and was extremely easy/seamless for me as all I had to do at customs was show paperwork/passport and they did the rest. Just was a bit spendy at $400-$500.

Used Bob Best for the admeasure and was pleased as well.
kaysea

Post by kaysea »

I am in touch with Pacific Custom Broker Inc. but I just wanted to hear some others who have done this before. They quoted me $325 for administration fees and $4.25 per $1000 for the overall value of the boat. Doing my math it looks like it will cost me closer to $700 for their services.

After Bob Best did you admeasure, did you have to pay additional for your tonnage certificate? How long did it take to have all the paperwork in your hand? I was told additional to getting the admeasure done, you had to pay around $1300 for the tonnage certificate to make it complete. Good information to know if anybody else wants to purchase a Canadian vessel.

Thanks for the information. Ed
duck

Post by duck »

kaysea If you are from Sitka go to the customs office and get the paper work it takes about two minutes to fill out and doesn't cost you anything. I did it last year.
kaysea

Post by kaysea »

Thanks for the information. I appreciate everybody's input.

Ed