Starting at the beginning..........

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Laukia
Spammer?: No

Starting at the beginning..........

Post by Laukia »

Just for the sake of discussion......and the sake trying to decipher the The CA DFG regs........just what would a person need to begin fishing commercially for salmon. Assuming this person already was the owner of a sea worthy, trailerable vessel (24 ft.) and also assuming he was in his right mind, even seeing the last few years of the sorry state of the fishery let alone the new reserves, price of fuel, etc..........the switch from sport fishing to commercial fishing seems very problematic. Even rod and reel/downrigger small scale results in the salmon fishery, is it feasible even if most would might consider more of a hobby? Would a person purchase a commercial license, vessel license, salmon stamp, enhancement stamp below Pt. Conception, (any Coast Guard upgrades/inspections?) and then try and find a salmon transfer permit for the boat? What am I undoubtable missing?
Tim

Re: Starting at the beginning..........

Post by Tim »

go to the docks and ask a troller. :geek:
Saints Rest

Post by Saints Rest »

I sot of agree with the previous post. There is a period of eye balling you that should be done to see if you deserve a part of the knowledge. We are not a dying breed and to just give away the knowledge is just wrong. I know a young man who has committed to being a troller, bought a wood boat and worked through a handtoller permit and is ready to start a life. He gets advise at every turn. He shows that he wants to move up and be called a troller. Every person wants to be known for their worth. I'll gladly tell you my saga and so will others but please, think of the knowledge as pearls, not to be thrown among swine. Good Luck, May God Bless you.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

A perfectly reasonable question and this forum is a perfectly reasonable place to ask or start a discussion. I don't fish California so don't have any info for you. Hopefully someone does and is communal enough to chime in. I'd be interested to know as well. Obviously the sacred keeper of knowledge above is unwilling to help a guy out.

Praise be to Allah
RUSSELL

Post by RUSSELL »

Well you pose a lot of questions hopefully I can help. I came into trolling in much the same way you are pondering. I started out sport fishing around Santa Cruz as soon as I was old enough to tow my boat to the bay. I later bought my first troller and immediately realized commercial trolling was a whole different ball game. Rod and reel fishing can be very productive in Ca , Especially when the price is over $6. But when its good enough for rods you are missing alot of fish. Hand gurdies should be a minimum requirement to make you more productive. Hydraulics would be best but rigging a sport boat can be pretty expensive. Small boats in Ca have a niche - get out there early , catch em , get back in before the northwest 25 start around noon. I started with 24 ft dory that was slow but it was a purpose built troller with hydros, poles and floppers . The boat was slow but it could pack fish and was stable enough to get me home . Being trailerable can be a good advantage to staying on the bite, weather its in Moss Landing or Bodega. If you are looking for a way to feed you fishing addiction transferring a permit to your boat might be the bestway to start. Ca permit transfers can be very tedious and I would reccomend contracting with a broker who deals specifically with Ca permits. Another option is buying a different boat with a valid permit . I have fished on converted sport boats and usually they are fast but cant haul alot of fish. But on the other side of the coin is having a bigger boat gets pretty expensive during the nonfishing months with the outragous slip fees in Ca. If you plan on fishing as weekend job go with the trailerable boat. If you are gonna gamble on trying to make a living in Ca your gonna need a troller with a crab permit . Prior to putting it all on the line you might want see about deckhanding for the season or offer to donate your time for a trip just to get your feet wet and see how different it is to be in the stern of a troller. The future of trolling in Ca is a little iffy , with the water wars and the politics it is what it is. If things get back to normal theres alot of fish to be had and best advice I could give on fishing Ca is keep your regular job and fish when you can. When the seasons shut down a couple of years ago I headed north to Ak and ended up getting rid of the trailerable boat and bought a 38 ft troller and never looked back but now that theres a season down there Iam definitely looking over my shoulder remembering some of those amazing days with big clatters. Good luck
FORDOTY

Post by FORDOTY »

I feel yer pain about Ca DFG, They sell ya a tag and they cant seem to be abel to answer any questions or offer any log books or transportation receipt book unless you ask for them, but you don't ask for them because you don't know ya need one then I gotta drive for two hours to get what need to have.

I just started to comercial skiff fish Halibut & White sea bass in the SF bayarea part time(hours cut at real job).
I did good on my first two days(last week ) & have this check & I'm not quite shure what to do with it .

Good Fishing To You Sir .