pigs

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
KimberlyAnn
Spammer?: No

pigs

Post by KimberlyAnn »

i have a question about the float boards or PIGS , do you run one on each line or just the in board ones and can you run with out them ? and i would also like to ask how long shuld my poles be on a 35ft boat with a 9'7" beam ? :?
KimberlyAnn

Re: pigs

Post by KimberlyAnn »

Ok i see they are on all lines so are the heavest cannon balls in board or out board so i am asumeing the pigs have one that goes strait in the middle ,the out board one drifts to the outside and the inside one drifts inward to spread the lines more am i correct ?
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Kimberly Ann,

You're not getting much feedback because real trollers are out fishing, so I guess I'll give this a whirl. Perhaps you saw this link to a PDF file of a salmon troller http://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/sgpubs/ ... g03006.pdf ? The drawing shows how the gear is typically fished. I have never seen anyone run float bags on the mains (forward lines, closest to the boat), but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. You can run without them if you run short enough leaders, but you are going to want to run long leaders and have your gear spread out at some time. It works fine to run without when you're fishing for chum with 1 fathom leaders. It is common to use heavier leads on your mains in order to keep them from dragging back into the float lines if they load up with fish first. As far as pole length goes, search this site for the topic "Boat rigging" for a good discussion on the issue. Enjoy setting things up.

Lane
KimberlyAnn

Post by KimberlyAnn »

Hey thank you , that helps me alot , i now have an understanding of what goes where . i figured every one was out having fun , cant wait till i can get out there too .