Ice Boat Bin Questions

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
pioneercmt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Ice Boat Bin Questions

Post by pioneercmt »

I'm starting salmon trolling on my new westport troller in California, and was wondering how you all manage the ice in the bins? I have 3 forward bins (port/center/starboard), and 3 main bins (port/center/starboard). The main bins are about 50% larger than the forward bins. Bin boards separate everything, except that the forward-port to main-port interface, and forward-starboard to main-starboard interface are separated by a fiberglass bulkhead. I enter the fish hold from a hatch above which drops down 6' into the main-center bin which also has the 12 volt lightbulb on the back wall, and bilge melt pumps under a false floor below. Given this configuration would you blow flake ice into all bins, except for the main-center? Also, on my first trip using the bins, it was really tough to shovel most of the ice out of a bin (I shoveled out one bin and "temporarily" stored the ice in the main-center bin) to put the first fish in, it all melted together somewhat overnite, at least near the top. Is there a preferred tool for breaking up the ice again? I've been using a small stainless axe. Finally, what brand fish hold bin cleaner do you all use?

Thank you for helping a newbie!

P.S. The previous owners also left a bunch of pieces of 1/2" thick white foam rectangle "mats" in the fish hold. Are they used for anything?
1973 36' Westport FG Troller. They call it 36', but actually closer to 35', and documented at 32.7'. Detroit 6V-71N. Cruises 6 knots with 4 blade 20RH18 (slow salmon prop, a little dinged). With 3 blade 24RH20 (everything else prop), cruise is 8.8 knots @1380 rpm. 4 spool Hasbra. 17" Junes block. 300 gal fuel. 10 gal water (going to add more). Standard Ice hold (but I put bonars in there and slush). Aluminum 3000 lb crab insert when crabbing.
salmontroll

Re: Ice Boat Bin Questions

Post by salmontroll »

I'd leave one bin with bed ice. start icing fish there using ice from the bin next to it. Those rectangle foam squares are ice blankets. keep them on top of your ice, helps keep the ice cold. Chipping glacial ice is one of the joys of flake(?) ice fishing. The previous owner probably left you an adequate tool, taking a few ibuprofin tablets before also helps.. ha. or better yet, get a good looking gal for a deckhand that loves to shovel ice... you're set. .. good luck!