Where to get a diverter valve

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
bearhair
Spammer?: No

Where to get a diverter valve

Post by bearhair »

Anyone know where to find a diverter/splitter valve for the hydraulics? Here is what is currently on the boat.

Pretty simple, throw the lever to one side and I can run the gurdies, throw it to the other side and I can run the winch on the mast. I want to add another line so need another diverter/splitter. Seems I can only find ones that are made from cast iron. Just wondering if anyone knows where to get one.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Where to get a diverter valve

Post by Once and Future »

Sorry Bearhair, I don't have an answer for you. But I have a question of my own. I see in your picture you have some of the same brass-looking hydraulic fittings on non-conductive hose like I have on my boat. They are great because even after years of exposure to salt spray, they still come apart.

So I am asking if you, or anyone else, knows where I can still buy that kind of fitting? I haven't tried to disassemble a fitting yet, but they even look field-repairable, which would obviously make them even greater!

I also see the Robertson (square drive) screw in the photo, which leads me to believe your boat was Canadian at one time, just like mine. As a further clue to you, my boat also came with the same diverter valves on it. So maybe these valves have a Canadian source.

(Incidentally, square drive screws are damn good too. I saw on a show on why we don't have them in the states. Henry Ford was using them in his early cars. Being the hard-baller that he was, he insisted he would no longer buy the screws from the Canadian manufacturer and they must sell him the company. The owner refused. Ford switched to the phillips head. And that is why we Americans have been stripping screws ever since.)
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I've been doing construction on and off for a few years and using square head stainless wood screws, made by Swaneze.
bearhair

Post by bearhair »

Hello Once and Future,

not sure about a source for the hose fittings. The shop I get to make up my hoses has no trouble finding the brass fittings. You are correct that my boat is a Canadian boat, robertson screws and all!

Sure wish I could find a brass diverter valve as I've looked and asked around everywhere and can only find cast iron ones.

Stephen
Hotspott

Post by Hotspott »

Have a brass lever valve if you are still interested. PM me.
bearhair

Post by bearhair »

Hotspott wrote:Have a brass lever valve if you are still interested. PM me.
PM sent