Best bet for looking at boats

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Best bet for looking at boats

Post by latitudes »

Looking for some ideas on where I can go to look at a bunch of trollers. I had thought of Sitka in the Fall or early spring when everyone is getting finished/started. Also thought of going down the Oregon coast this winter as most of the boats would be in port. I'm looking for a 45-50 foot troller, and wanted to see what was out there. Not that any would be for sale, but at least I would have an idea of the different makes/models/setups etc that people are running. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Joe
birdfeeder11

Re: Best bet for looking at boats

Post by birdfeeder11 »

Oregon coast is a good place to look for good value trollers.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

I sold my boat late last spring and was in the market for an up grade. I found that fall and winter is a better time for boat shopping. If you find a boat you want, late spring, you'll be jammed up for time with financing,fixing the things that need adjusting and over all, getting geared up. As to where to go shopping? I rode with the new owner to Juneau so I could show him the boat and workings, bow to stern. (I didn't want my pride and joy on the rocks, broke down because he didn't know to how to use the selector valve to drop an anchor, etc..) From Juneau I did The Alaska Marine Hwy back to Prince of Wales Is. The ferry is a great way to stop in Sitka for a night, then to Petersberg, Wangell, Ketchikan, even Hoonah and Craig. It was a low pressure ride, with the benefits of meeting people from this forum, skippers whom I'd talked to on the radio but never met, and found several boats with for sale signs that weren't listed in any of the boat broker's pages. This entire trip took about 7 days and was time well spent.
kaylei

Post by kaylei »

Why can't the mole swear after a boundary? The porter worships my infrequent chestnut. Your release packages the chancellor. : Best bet for looking at boats doles the tile. Beneath another public cookie cautions the urban choral.
Capt. Midnite

Post by Capt. Midnite »

latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by latitudes »

I have been watching the Oregon site fairly close. The boat Eileen looks interesting as the work that has been done looks good, but it needs to be finished. Any ideas on where one would look for finishing supplies. Gurdies, poles, electronics etc. My though was that one could get this boat and then finish it the way he wanted, rather than modifying something else. Just not sure where to look to get prices for equipment. The boat comes with a Jimmy, and I was looking at going with a Cummins or JD to save on fuel and noise. The other factor was that I am hoping to fish tuna off the Washington coast at the end of the season, and I'm not sure how a double ender would work for tuna. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I'm told double enders don't fish as well as square enders but folks do fish 'em.. There is a guy i Charleston who sells and rebuilds gurdies. I scored a set I'm happy with and my fishing partner has two wood poles in his back yard. I have 3 or 4 old wood freemans in storage if that's the way you want to go...I went with raytheon courtesy of ebay, works real good so far. Stuff is around and not always advertised so you might want to post a wanted sign-like you did!
Capt. Midnite

Post by Capt. Midnite »

I think if you take a look a the inventory of gear that goes with the Eileen you will see some I think Kolstrand gurdies and a lot of misc. gear. As far as double enders go, I fished one here in Ca. for about 35yrs., they fish tuna ok some guys will tell you they don't make any wake and you can't get the jigs to fish right, here's what I think, when albacore want to bite they don't give a dam what kind of stern you have. Also generally round stern boats don't pack as much fish, it wouldn't have mattered much this season,because there was plenty of fish that just didn't want to bite.