dumb question

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

dumb question

Post by joeman79 »

I am really green so don't make to much fun of me. I fished on a Troller last summer for a month and loved it. My question is there were a couple times I wanted to fish with a Rod and Reel while we anchored to try and catch a Halibut or Bass. I had a Crewman's License, that would not cover sport fishing would it? Also if we only had a Salmon Troll Permit would I have been breaking the law by having a Halibut in the cooler? I want to come back this summer and do it again and hopefully buy a boat sometime in 2012 or 13. I imagine i Need a Sportfishing License. Just knew you guys would know.
Thanks for any replies.
Joe
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: dumb question

Post by Abundance »

Not a dumb question. The legalities of sport fishing from a commercial boat have confused me most of my life, and the laws are always being redefined. I am sure that somebody more knowledgeable will fill the details, but I'm pretty sure that having a sport fishing license is a good idea. When I was a kid I fished off of the side of of my Dads boat every evening for years, catching all sorts of fun things. Nobody ever busted us on it, but you never know. I don't have much knowledge to add, but I am curious as to what other people have say.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

I searched for alaska department of fish and game, got the main website, went to sportfish, opened the rule book, in the contents found page 7: "Sport fishing from commercially licensed vessels:"

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... _sportfish

"Sport fishing from commercially licensed vessels:
(a) One who sport fishes from a vessel licensed for
commercial fishing, other than a charter vessel, in waters
closed to commercial salmon fishing shall, immediately
upon bringing a salmon on board, mark the salmon by
removing its dorsal (large back) fin.
(b) Sport fishing from a commercially licensed vessel while
commercially caught salmon are in possession is illegal in
waters closed to commercial salmon fishing."

This is relating to Salmon. Not sure about rock fish. I do know that catching halibut gets complicated... some people who are residents get a SHARK card (Subsistence Halibut something something) and you can keep some subsistence halibut. Pretty thick red tape. I think Salty knows abit about this subject, but would probably have a hard time showing you the written rules and how they apply to each other.

kj
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Since my name was mentioned, and I wrote the proposal allowing sport fishing for salmon off of commercially licensed salmon trollers (which passed the Board of Fish on a 4-3 vote) I will respond. KJ has it exactly correct along with the official language. Thank you! My recommendation is that if you are confused at all call up and discuss the rules with the State Troopers, ADF&G, and NMFS enforcement personnel so you are sure your particular fishing is legal in the area and time you are fishing.
For example, it is my understanding that you can keep halibut while commercial power trolling if you have a subsistence card and are not exceeding the subsistence limits on hooks and numbers of halibut and are not fishing in an area limited to hand hauling of the subsistence gear. But, that whole halibut retention deal while commercial salmon trolling appears to be a marginal situation to me so I let the few halibut that come up on my troll gear go. Whether the hook limit includes hooks being fished or hooks on board appears to need further clarification for example.
It is a wonderful privilege to be able to sport fish salmon off our commercially licensed trollers. Be sure to remove those dorsal fins immediately upon landing the salmon.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Actually, I did not write the language that was eventually adopted. The Department and enforcement re-write actually screwed it up.
The following is closer to my original "intent".

(a) One who sport fishes from a vessel licensed for
commercial salmon trolling, other than a charter vessel, shall, immediately
upon bringing a salmon on board, mark the salmon by
removing its dorsal (large back) fin.
(b) Sport fishing from a commercially licensed salmon troll vessel while
commercially caught salmon are in possession is illegal.

But, that is typical when working with regulations, almost everyone wants to stick their nose in and "improve" the language of the proposal often changing the meaning completely.

Off to the fishing grounds.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Actually, I don't think I proposed exempting charter vessels either.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Just would like to have some fresh fish once in awhile besides salmon and not get in trouble. And on those days when your swingin on the pick when you have read all you can read and need a break. But part of my question is do I need a sportfishing license or does my crew license cover that?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Crew license does not cover "sportfishing".
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Thank You all for all your help I appreciate it.
Joe
ata
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ata »

Hi All:

You know, there are no dumb questions, and with what I do, they are instructive to finding out what the fleet -seasoned or new - are interested in, or need help on. Keep 'em comin'!

I have a list of FAQ's on the ATA website: http://aktrollers.org/faqs.html
Also, the links and issues sections might help you find a few answers and information.

If anyone has suggestions for FAQ's, links, etc, please send me a personal message. I want the ATA page to be of use to the fleet. Also, thoughts about what is not needed, or dead links, or frustrations with navigation,etc. will all be welcome.

P.S....yes, I know it needs an update -'coming soon'. It's been a very busy year - writing from the UFA meeting right now.

Gotta say it again, it takes money to do all this stuff. Please hit the 'Donate' button above and show a little love for Jon for providing this great forum. Also, you can learn about ATA and get a membership form at : http://aktrollers.org/why_join.html

Best!

Dale
ATA