can i getta little help?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
dyce
Spammer?: No

can i getta little help?

Post by dyce »

Ok, I always wanted to be a commercial fisherman. My parents beat that out of me and made me go to college. Luckily I'm old now- in the summer I traded a hot rod to a guy up in oregon for his Pac City Dory.

Great boat! Heavy, 2 liter volvo, in big following seas and it rides like an old cadillac.

I don't live near the ocean. I live on a lake. So? been using the boat all summer for trout.

Here's the question:

The thing has two outriggers, and 2 spool gurdies on each side of the boat. It's a standard set up. Friend and I have NO IDEA what to do with this stuff. On the lake? We use down riggers off a boat- and rods- the line from the rod is clipped to the wire of the down riggers.

This boat was fished without rods-

Where was the leader/spoons attached to?

Out rigger deployed and we have two lines attached to the end on springs (is that a snubber?) and the line runs to a nylon 'loop' and through the loop runs the wire that runs from spool to lead weight.

How can we make this work? If anyone cares to write a little bit and let me know? We would feel so much better! And totally not like choads with our stuff deployed on the street by the lake. *see, everyone looks at the boat and totally thinks we know what we're doing. we don't...but don't tell the other guys!

Thanks in advance. Chris

- and find two photos of the outriggers business end and the spool end.
Attachments
rig 1.JPG
rig 1.JPG (95.27 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
rig 2.JPG
rig 2.JPG (80.97 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
Drew

Re: can i getta little help?

Post by Drew »

The leaders are just 6 foot to 15 foot (typically) pieces of monofilament with a snap on one end and the lure on the other. The leaders snap directly to the wire at intervals of 9 to 18 feet (typically). When you get to your desired depth you tie on a little donut (a washer would work) that doesn't fit through the "nylon loop". This causes the wire to get pulled away from the boat to the pole tips and helps to keep the wires from tangling. As the wire is coming up you unsnap and coil the leaders until you get to the one with the fish. You then pull the fish in by hand.

It's probably illegal to sportfish on your lake like this, but that's how it would be done.
dyce

Post by dyce »

hey thanks a metric ton drew! makes perfect sense.

and i'm sure your right about the legality of things- but the look on peoples faces is priceless when the outriggers are set even with the flopper stoppers-

"oh my god merl, what in in the hell is that???"- it's great stuff.

thanks again!
rookie

Post by rookie »

If you want to get reid of anything give me a call i could use evetthing but the poles craig 907-617-3379