Thinking of getting into fishing

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Woodenboater
Spammer?: No

Thinking of getting into fishing

Post by Woodenboater »

Hi all,

I've been considering getting into Commercial Salmon Trolling in the next few years, I just picked up a PC Dory that shows evidence of prior use as a salmon troller, I'm planning on doing some sport fishing this coming summer to get some use out of it. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

Oregon troll permits seem to be cheap and plentiful right now, many in the $3-4,000 range. Why are there so many for sale? Is that a normal year-to-year price range?

How many Oregon ports have fish buyers? What's the general procedure for selling your catch? Just pull up to the dock at the end of the day and heave it into the brailer?

If a person were to buy gear gradually, what would be the best items to start out with? I was thinking EPIRB and survival suit, followed by outriggers, gurdies, etc...

Lastly, is there anyone out there that would be willing to let me fish with them for a bit this summer? I'm still gainfully employed on land, but I have stretches of 3-4 days off every week. Experienced on the ocean, just not at commercial fishing.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Thinking of getting into fishing

Post by SilverT »

Greg,

Congratulations on your purchase. The Oregon permits are probably inexpensive because there has been little money made from them in the last few years. That said, it's probably a great time to buy, as there's not much to lose. Washington permits recently went from around 10k to 20k in after 2 good years of fishing.

What to buy is probably based more on what opportunities present themselves, as you'll ultimately need it all. The things you listed sound reasonable. If you buy some equipment and you're sport fishing, you can practice ahead of time and get used to using it. Gurdies can be used effectively as downriggers and you can use heavier weights than a typical sport rig. If you set your boat up with outriggers, you can cover a little more water with a wider spread on your gear. Stabilizers make the ride much more comfortable. You could purchase a black box & get your voltage dialed ahead of time. Check the laws in your locale against any of these suggestions.

You have the general idea on the fish sales. It's good to walk the docks in the port you want to fish, ask every troller who will talk to you where they sell their fish and then show up at the buyer's offices ask to see their operations ahead of time. Most buyers want more business and should be somewhat helpful. If not, you probably don't want to sell there anyway, so it's a great interview process. If you pay attention to the troll opening dates next summer, trollers will usually come in to sell their fish toward the end of the opener. If we fish this summer, you are welcome to join us on one of our trips, although you may have to travel up the coast a ways to do so.

Lane
Woodenboater

Post by Woodenboater »

Thanks for the thoughts Lane, I'll keep my eyes open regarding gear and such.

Another question: I was seriously looking at a few boats a few months ago when my employment was in jeopardy, and someone told me that this was the last year you could have a salmon permit and not have any landings. Is that true? If I end up getting a permit this year do I have to have some sort of landings to keep it for next year?

Another question (again): how big of an engine/hydraulic pump is needed to run a set of gurdies? My boat is outboard powered, so I'd be using a power pack for hydraulics.

Greg
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

A boat owner needs current year landing in order to sell the permit, you don'tneed landings every year to keep it valid , just make sure you come up with the big bucks to keep it current.
Woodenboater

Post by Woodenboater »

By what date do you need to renew the permit every year?

Greg
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

Dec 31 , and I paid $429 to renew, the cost would be $500+ if you intend to fish
Woodenboater

Post by Woodenboater »

lone eagle wrote:Dec 31 , and I paid $429 to renew, the cost would be $500+ if you intend to fish
So, to renew for 2012 a person has until December 31st of 2012 to renew the permit?

Greg
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

yes, and i would suggest you confirm everything with ODFW (they are very helpful in my experience).
Woodenboater

Post by Woodenboater »

lone eagle wrote:yes, and i would suggest you confirm everything with ODFW (they are very helpful in my experience).
Yep. I'll call them with the permit number of any permit I'm interested in to make sure it will work out for what I need.

Greg