Questions about Alaska?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Questions about Alaska?

Post by TomD »

Hello everyone ! I am really glad I have found this site ! I have bin reading the threads and really like how everyone is very helpful ! So let me say Thank YOU for taking the time to write/work on this site !

I really hope this is not "Off Topic" but I had some general Questions and I am sure you guys /gals can help. :D

I am a Healthy 28 year old Male from Northern California. I am thinking of heading up north to Alaska for work. I am planning on getting into the fishing Industry. I was thinking of starting out at a seafood processing plant on the "slime line". So I could learn everything from the bottom up! And HOPEFULLY work my way up to maybe boat captain? Processing plant owner? Fish Hatchery owner? I have big dreams.But If I don't think big what will really come of my life right? I enjoy hard work and good pay. I am very easy to get along with and very trustworthy . I can work well with others or be left alone to get a job done. I would like opportunity to become something in life. I can not do it in the area I live in now. California is not a place to try and start a fishing business or any other company for that madder or even try and provide for my family . Between the "Bad Ass" kids on the streets, The constant violence and drugs around it gets to you after awhile .Especially now that have have Two young kids and want them to be all they want in life.I have bin doing research and honestly !!I'M LOST !! and am not sure what Company I should try and work for? Should I work for someone like Trident or some small mom and pop operation like a "Co-Op"? or if I should just try and meet a Captain of a Boat (really hard to do from down here). I don't want to get put it some really messed up situation like ALOT of people I have asked. I understand fishing hard for hours on end, that's fine lets roll! Lets get to work ! lets get it done ! But "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck" and here's the issue.I DON'T DO DRUGS, I smoke Cigarettes (but would not smoke if told not to)I barely like coffee haha ( I will learn to love it I am sure )and even as healthy as I am cannot run 24-48 hours straight... I want to work hard and would be a great addition to the Fleet.

I am not looking for a hand out. I would really like it if someone ANYONE could give me some info on how I should go about this. I have called a few places and sent a few app's in but would like info from someone who lives ANYWHERE in Alaska. I DO NOT have an alcohol or drug problem. I'm told I am a pretty good guy ;)With a good head on my shoulders ! ;) Thank you whoever you may be for any and all info you would help me with !

If this is not the place for this I will gladly remove . Thank you everyone !
Timm

Re: Questions about Alaska?

Post by Timm »

I once asked my friend , Mark, on the Hans Halvor, how he became a fisherman and he replied," I bought a fishing boat."
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Timm wrote:I once asked my friend , Mark, on the Hans Halvor, how he became a fisherman and he replied," I bought a fishing boat."
Haha Thank you for responding ! You know I think That is a great idea ! (for some) I was recently thinking of building a basic pontoon boat and starting a Crawfish fishing business ,I live In Sacramento ,Ca and the Delta is my Backyard, At one time it was a huge industry. BUT after doing alot of research , it wont work out like this for me :D It pretty much comes down to money...and that is something I don't have.
I am looking at myself now as a business.My health is good and I have the right state of mind. If I work hard anything can be done. In my head even if I had the money,and bought everything I needed to get out there with the Big Boys, I don't deserve that right.(nothing against anyone who goes that route). yea I fish with a pole and love to go hunting but who am I to step on toes to get somewhere in life just because I "Have a dream". If we worked together instead being out for only ourselves this country/world would be doing a lot better off right now !
My Dad always put in my head " The only job you ever start on the top of is digging a hole". He has bin in the cabinet business since he was 14,hes now 51 and has no job and nothing to show for his hard work(as far as retirement or any of that). He wants better for me ,he says "Son when I go, you will be lucky if you don't have a Bill" lol (were close) .You know how parents put there kids in sports because its there love and passion and what THEY wanted or did "Back in the day"? Me going to Alaska is like that for my Dad, His dream and passion was to go to Alaska and put in his worth, well it didn't work out that way for him. And he is so down he thinks he will never make it up there and get to at least experience .When I mentioned to him "So I am thinking of joining the fishing fleet" A "Sparkle" in his eye I havn't seen in a long time came out :D Its like Two Birds one stone :D
I will keep doing all the research I can , it cant hurt! I appreciate any and all info that is shared with me. Thank you again !
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

It depends on what you want to do with your life. No one can have that answer for you. If you read these forums you will get a taste for what commercial fishing is like but the only way to know if it is for you, is to go do it. There are different ways to try to get a job in this industry. It has been suggested to most with the same inquiry to get a job on a boat. Maybe you can connect with a skipper on this site that is looking for a deck hand. Otherwise maybe try alaskajobfinder.com or there is the old standard approach of getting a one way ticket, packing a bag and hit the docks, get to know people, ask around, post an ad on the bulletin boards, knock on doors. If you have that kind of determination and have your shit together, you will get a job on a boat without too much problem.

Good luck.
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

JYDPDX wrote:It depends on what you want to do with your life. No one can have that answer for you. If you read these forums you will get a taste for what commercial fishing is like but the only way to know if it is for you, is to go do it. There are different ways to try to get a job in this industry. It has been suggested to most with the same inquiry to get a job on a boat. Maybe you can connect with a skipper on this site that is looking for a deck hand. Otherwise maybe try alaskajobfinder.com or there is the old standard approach of getting a one way ticket, packing a bag and hit the docks, get to know people, ask around, post an ad on the bulletin boards, knock on doors. If you have that kind of determination and have your shit together, you will get a job on a boat without too much problem.

Good luck.
Your very right, the only way to know is do it. That's how I was gonna roll with it, then my Dad reminded me I have kids and am not 18 anymore lol So he said some planning for something like this is in order. SO I am researching all the fisheries, all the companies . I want to start out from what may be called the "bottom" at a processing plant.(no disrespect to anyone) SO I can learn all the fish, How to clean them. How to pack and can them or however the company does there work, Then from there meet a captain because I moved my way from inside to outside to offload the boats,then do some "free"work so the captain can get a feel for me and how I work. I don't mind putting in the time, but what I seem to be getting is that its only a 2-3 month job for someone like me and I want to keep working, I don't have to "go home"for school or anything, and If I make it my family is coming up. My lady works at a DR office so she can get a job anywhere .
Thank's again for the response ! It all helps !
saltyfish

Post by saltyfish »

A guy can make some money on a crab boat in CA, might be a little more forgiving of a plan if you don't like it.
saltyfish

Post by saltyfish »

A good hardworking boat in California or Oregon will be fishing 12 months a year
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

saltyfish wrote:A good hardworking boat in California or Oregon will be fishing 12 months a year
Thanks for the response Salty! You know I had did a lot of asking around on the Docks and the Piers in SF and Bodega awile back, and most of the advice I got was negative and miss leading. Most of the captains had no openings and said It would be really hard seeing how the docks were full of people looking for work (who actually worked boats before) If I could stay here in California (sacramento) and be able to find steady work or even work here (Be close to what/who I know) that would be great! But I think heading up North could be the best choice and while I still am healthy and in good shape ! Its alot to think about and I would like it to work out. Thank you again for responding !
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

http://jobs.alaska.gov/ Would be worth looking at. The hardest part will be moving the family up at the same time. Although some places Like Port Protection hire both husband and wife, provide housing and a school. He hires via the jobs office listed above in the spring. Because most boats are small operations we hire someone we've meet, like, and can work with. Here are a few links to dock-side jobs; http://www.spcsales.com/employment.cfm http://www.icicleseafoods.com/ http://www.ecphillipsalaska.com/ http://www.tridentseafoods.com/. These are just a few in Southeast, AK towns. The AK jobs page is the best start, and the hard way will be; http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/licen ... isting.pdf and do a search for SBPR (shore based processors) Good Luck
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

mydona wrote:http://jobs.alaska.gov/ Would be worth looking at. The hardest part will be moving the family up at the same time. Although some places Like Port Protection hire both husband and wife, provide housing and a school. He hires via the jobs office listed above in the spring. Because most boats are small operations we hire someone we've meet, like, and can work with. Here are a few links to dock-side jobs; http://www.spcsales.com/employment.cfm http://www.icicleseafoods.com/ http://www.ecphillipsalaska.com/ http://www.tridentseafoods.com/. These are just a few in Southeast, AK towns. The AK jobs page is the best start, and the hard way will be; http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/licen ... isting.pdf and do a search for SBPR (shore based processors) Good Luck
Thank you very much mydona! Yea I think whats gonna happen is the Family is gonna stay back down here until I can get things going up there. My parents Like being Grandparents so they are very helpful . And if it does work then they can all come up. Yea when I get up there and start walking and talking I am sure it wont take long to find something. I am an easy going likeable guy so it has never bin a problem .I have the links saved to my favorites thank you very much. Icicle was a company I had written down to possible turn in an App. A decent company? It looks big but that doesn't always mean good. I was thinking I would probably get a better chance to move up in a small company that is growing compared to try and move up in a large company with a lot of employees? I am not sure ;) And SE Alaska I think would be a great place to start ! I have an account on ALaskaJobFinder.com and there is a lot on info on there . Thank you very much for taking the time to respond .
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

TomD wrote:
mydona wrote:http://jobs.alaska.gov/ Would be worth looking at. The hardest part will be moving the family up at the same time. Although some places Like Port Protection hire both husband and wife, provide housing and a school. He hires via the jobs office listed above in the spring. Because most boats are small operations we hire someone we've meet, like, and can work with. Here are a few links to dock-side jobs; http://www.spcsales.com/employment.cfm http://www.icicleseafoods.com/ http://www.ecphillipsalaska.com/ http://www.tridentseafoods.com/. These are just a few in Southeast, AK towns. The AK jobs page is the best start, and the hard way will be; http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/licen ... isting.pdf and do a search for SBPR (shore based processors) Good Luck
Thank you very much mydona! Yea I think whats gonna happen is the Family is gonna stay back down here until I can get things going up there. My parents Like being Grandparents so they are very helpful . And if it does work then they can all come up. Yea when I get up there and start walking and talking I am sure it wont take long to find something. I am an easy going likeable guy so it has never bin a problem .I have the links saved to my favorites thank you very much. Icicle was a company I had written down to possible turn in an App. A decent company? It looks big but that doesn't always mean good. I was thinking I would probably get a better chance to move up in a small company that is growing compared to try and move up in a large company with a lot of employees? I am not sure ;) And SE Alaska I think would be a great place to start ! I have an account on ALaskaJobFinder.com and there is a lot on info on there . Thank you very much for taking the time to respond .Also I just notice that SPC is the place I called and spoke to a nice man and sent in my app,I am gonna call back this week sometime.They looked (and sounded) like a great company to work for.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Seafood Producers Co-operative is a great company, fishermen owned producing the highest quality seafood. My father was a member starting in the 50's, I am a member, and my son is a member. Sitka is a great place to get into the seafood work.
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Salty wrote:Seafood Producers Co-operative is a great company, fishermen owned producing the highest quality seafood. My father was a member starting in the 50's, I am a member, and my son is a member. Sitka is a great place to get into the seafood work.
Thanks Salty. Yea after I was looking through the companys on AlaskaJobFinder.com ,Seafood Producers Co-operative was the first place that popped out at me. I went to the website, really like what I saw . So I actually picked the phone up and spoke to a man named Jeff ( seemed like a great guy) we talked for around 30 minutes. After we spoke he asked me to fill out the online app and he would go over it and give me a call .I went to the Sportsman's Show here in Sacramento a few weeks back .Me and my dad were talking and I made the joke "All these booths selling all these "fishing trips" to Alaska (like $3k+),where's the booth for guys like me who want to work?" well a fishing guide over heard me and called us over and started BS'ing with us and after talking to him for a few minutes he mentioned I should go up to Sitka and walk the docks and go talk to his buddy (another fishing guide booth down the way) about a Job. He said its a great town he lived there for many years and if I was serious I should head up there (kind of the kick in the ass to get this ball rolling) . So I am glad to know that Seafood Producers Co-operative sounds to be a good company. Thank you again for the info Salty .
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

I am looking for a deckhand send me a pm.

Tom
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Tom,
Are you catching so many fish these days that you need a deck hand? And you can afford to take the winter off? Where have you been?
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Carol W wrote:I am looking for a deckhand send me a pm.

Tom
Hey thanks a lot for the heads up . . . . I will PM you.
Jackson Combs

Post by Jackson Combs »

This thread is interesting to me.

I've dungy crabbed and done a little tuna trolling out of Oregon. I wanted to come up north so I'm currently pitching snow crab on the P/V Arctic Star for Icicle out of Dutch Harbor. I get the most contact with outside boats of anyone on board, and it's still limited. I really wouldn't consider this a great way to make your way onto a boat. It was a free plane ticket and some walking around cash though. My plan has been to also head down to Sitka area once this contract is over to find a spot back on a real boat. Hopefully I'll see you there Tom. :)

If anyone has a spot opening up in the next couple months, for spring/summer/fall, I'd love to talk to you. My phone access is extremely limited but I'm able to check the internet every few days or so.
Jackson
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I wonder if Jon would consider a new section in the For Sale section perhaps for Crew wanted and fishing jobs wanted. Seems like quite a bit of looking for both here. I know several people have found crew or jobs through this site. Here is one.
Chuck, crewmember extraordinary..jpg
Chuck, crewmember extraordinary..jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 39695 times
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Salty wrote:I wonder if Jon would consider a new section in the For Sale section perhaps for Crew wanted and fishing jobs wanted. Seems like quite a bit of looking for both here. I know several people have found crew or jobs through this site. Here is one.
Chuck, crewmember extraordinary..jpg
That may be a great idea for people looking for jobs or what not. Yea I see a lot of people looking for both and this is a good place with a lot of great people . Is "Chuck" someone who found a place from down here in the lower 48? That's awsome !
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Jackson Combs wrote:This thread is interesting to me.

I've dungy crabbed and done a little tuna trolling out of Oregon. I wanted to come up north so I'm currently pitching snow crab on the P/V Arctic Star for Icicle out of Dutch Harbor. I get the most contact with outside boats of anyone on board, and it's still limited. I really wouldn't consider this a great way to make your way onto a boat. It was a free plane ticket and some walking around cash though. My plan has been to also head down to Sitka area once this contract is over to find a spot back on a real boat. Hopefully I'll see you there Tom. :)

If anyone has a spot opening up in the next couple months, for spring/summer/fall, I'd love to talk to you. My phone access is extremely limited but I'm able to check the internet every few days or so.
Yea I don't think I want to get on one of the larger ships in the fleet. I would like to work with more family oriented captain/crew. Yea Sitka seems like a great place to work/live? I hope to be headed that way in the next few months. There's a train that leaves here and will take me to Seattle ,then from there I will hop on the ferry and head up to SE Alaska ! I think it will be a great adventure none the less ! Thank you for responding and yea see you up there this summer !