Lifespan of older Perkins diesel

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
lucamul
Spammer?: No

Lifespan of older Perkins diesel

Post by lucamul »

I'm looking at getting a 1965 Roberts gillnetter with the original 1965 Perkins 6-354 main with a Borg Warner 72C gear. The engine was completely rebuilt 5-7 years ago and was not fished last year. Anyone have any opinions on these older Perkins?
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Lifespan of older Perkins diesel

Post by carojae »

Personally I've never had experience with this engine but if it's still running it must be a good one. Seems like that model has been around a long time though so it must be good (in general).

Specific to any engine, I think I would want to know how often the oil and filters were changed; what the general appearance of the engine was to make a comment on life span. There are other factors like, how many (hrs) was this engine was used - daily, annually. Keel cooled; raw water cooled these are things that make a difference if you are wondering if this engine might last you too.

Other considerations are the fuels today have less lubrication ability meaning calibrated fuel pumps have their days numbered according to the people in the know. They are recommending fuel additives to correct that so keep that in mind if you buy and you want to retain the longevity.

I do know one thing. My stall neighbor, I believe, had a Perkins and I was always amazed on how quiet that engine was. Quieter engines generally are better fish catchers I think most would agree. It could have been though that his muffler was top notch....

** Borg Warner 72C? A good anchor.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I had one of these engines in my first power troller and had it rebuilt locally. Fine engines, relatively fuel efficient and quiet. Those Borg/Warner gears sometimes have a problem and there is a rebuild kit for them. Check out the status of the gear.

Good luck
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Just found out my stall neighbors engine was NOT a Perkins but a Isuzu. Sorry for the error.
lucamul
Spammer?: No

Post by lucamul »

Thanks for all the input.