Chartplotter/fishfinder suggestions

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
lucamul
Spammer?: No

Chartplotter/fishfinder suggestions

Post by lucamul »

I'm just gettting started trolling and the vessel I'm looking at doesn't have a chartplotter. I know I want one but don't have the money to buy what I probably need. Can anyone suggest a chartplotter/fishfinder that would be good enough for a year or two of getting started?
AKFISHER

Re: Chartplotter/fishfinder suggestions

Post by AKFISHER »

Give me your price range and I can give you my opinion. does your boat have a fishfinder already?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Buy an I Phone, Download the Navionics app. Buy a nice mount, Current Navigation has them, and a good booster and you are set for most of SE Alaska.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Keep in mind that i'm just a smal time HT guy. My favorites for deep water is Furuno or JRC and I've used those for years. But, if money is an issue and you need a sounder to get through the first few seasons, I have had really good luck with a cheaper lowrance for marking king salmon in the shallower water. Here are some pics I have of kings chasing my gear. (i fish really shallow)

Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Is that feet?
AKFISHER

Post by AKFISHER »

I was going to say the same thing, the mid prices Lowrances are excellent and very easy to use. The fish finder/GPS should run between 450 and 800 dollars but the Fish Finder detail is excellent.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

It's feet. I'm still stuck on old habits! That's the Chicken Hole, inside of Cone Island.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Nothing like digging big kings out of the shallow drags.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I have always used a standard issue laptop for chartplotting. I formerly used Maptech, but the version that I have is now to old to use with newer computers and a new program goes for five hundred bucks. I now use Seaclear, which isn't as good as Maptech but is free. Both my Dad and me had our laptops die last week, so we made this last trip using the Marine Navigator app on our Android phones. I have seen inavX on an iphone, and it's very similar. I can't get iphones to work with my cell booster. I don't really know what to say about fishfinders. I still use the Furuno that came with my first boat six years ago, but my new boat has a little Lowrance that I keep around as a backup. Both seem to do the job of telling me if I'm about lose my gear on a rock or not.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
Katlian
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Katlian »

The Nobeltec sales rep is in Sitka this week. There is a meeting hosted by ALFA at the Sitka Sound Science Center on Tuesday at 5pm. A good chance to look at new toys and ask questions about the current software. All are welcome.

slr
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I have been using Nobletec since about 1992. Version 9.3 I think is the one. Keep it simple and elegant.