Plugs for Salmon?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
AKFISHER
Spammer?: No

Plugs for Salmon?

Post by AKFISHER »

Not asking for any specific hints as far as color goes but I really dont know much about Plugs. I have always Sportfishing used Herring, Hoochies, and some spoons on occasion. Is the use of plugs just something some guys prefer over something else or is there a certain time during the season that is the go to choice. Run straight to a leader I also assume not to a flasher? I assume they are only used for kings right, though I am sure a hungry coho would eat one. Anyone want to comment
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Plugs for Salmon?

Post by Abundance »

I've only rarely found plugs to be the "thing", but there are times when they do the job very well. You need to fish them on very long leader, say 5 to 6 fathoms, and going over 2.3 knots. They dont seem to work on shorter gear. White with blue have always worked the best for me, but some people prefer plain white. They actually can work very well for big late season cohos. They work for earlier ones too, but are just not efficient to run for smaller fish. Honestly, flashers will almost always trump plugs for catching. But I have a plug out there all winter waiting for that inevitable day that kings will only bite plugs. They are worth having around.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
AKFISHER

Post by AKFISHER »

Thanks for the great reply abundance appreciate it! I guess everydays different!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I used to fish plugs a great deal. Abundance has it right, they seem to produce better on longer lighter leaders. They are also good when there are a lot of shakers, humpies, or dogfish around. My favorites were 232, 12, 700, 84, and 114. It seems that some plugs, even in plastic, would be hot and others not.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

A quick search and I found this link- http://www.salmontrolling.com/viewtopic ... lugs#p1506 I thought that there was some comment about some plugs fishing better than others out of the same box.