Wire snap on spreader plates?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
octopus33
Spammer?: No

Wire snap on spreader plates?

Post by octopus33 »

Anyone have any suggestions as to how well these work? They are a small aluminum plate with two snaps intended to be attached near your leads to help separate your lines. There currently is some in Murrays in Sitka, near the leads. I'll be hand trolling and achieving a greater spread would be nice.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Wire snap on spreader plates?

Post by SilverT »

Octopus33,

A really famous troller with a huge boat called the Merimac provided me some early on when I was having tangling issues and I liked them. I sent them back to him and had some made, but they don't work as well - in this case bigger was not better. A rough estimate would be that if we had 20 fathoms of gear out they probably added 10-15 feetuite between the cannon balls at the bottom. They do help to keep float bags from tangling, as the additional wire allows them to pull further out. But, they kind of mess with the way float bags naturally pull if the floats are designed to pull outside on their own. Small boats that have trouble pulling floats inside mains probably benefit by using them on the mains only. For hand trolling that may not be an issue.

Lane
octopus33
Spammer?: No

Re: Wire snap on spreader plates?

Post by octopus33 »

Great, thanks for the feedback