Questions for you trollers

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Re: Questions for you trollers

Post by Abundance »

I very much agree with you, but I dont think that this is relavant to this discussion. I am sure that there are several threads in fishing politics that have already been begun on this subject. Right now, we are talking about how to use our trolling skills, and adapt our trolling gear, to do something other than fish salmon. The subject of statewide trolling, while something that we all care about, just isnt what this discussion is about. By the way, sienerman Greg, I have very much enjoyed this discussion. Its helped give me something to ponder over fishing in these long, kind of boring spring days. Even when I am catching a few fish, I am now visualizing how your gear looks and how it acts in the water. I may have to get a set of jigging machines to play with. The last time I checked, they were a lot cheaper than power troll gurdies. I hope that we have provided a little bit of insight, although I am sure that I learned far more from you than you could have learned from me.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
Seinerman
Spammer?: No

Re: Questions for you trollers

Post by Seinerman »

salmon4u -This should probably be on the politics forum, but that fmp was hammered through in record time, with total disregard to comments and testimony made by stakeholders. This was done to remove federal oversight from state salmon management, thereby opening the door to unlimited urban dipnet harvest for personal use on the copper, kenai, and kasilof rivers. I agree, troll permits should go back to being statewide - outside three miles and excluding the traditional gillnet areas in Cook Inlet, Copper River Delta, and False Pass. A while ago, the Kodiak seiners tried to get a troll/seine permit to troll cohos and chinooks instead of trying to net them. I think Kathy Hanson from your neck of the woods would know much more about what is going on with the fmp. All I know is that the feds acted in record time on this, pushing the sportfish/AOC/Bob Penney agenda. Pretty sickening if you ask me. Upper Cook Inlet is going the way of the west coast salmon stocks.

Abundance - I've really enjoyed the discussion here, and with what has been posted, plus some pms from some of the other trollers, i've come up with a pretty good plan. I've got some video editing to do, but I'll be happy to post some jig video on the video thread when I get it done. Thanks for all your input, it is GREATLY appreciated!

Greg