Troll valve questions

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Troll valve questions

Post by carojae »

I'm installing a troll valve and needing to install a control lever(on/off?) of some sort. My reduction gear is a Twin Disc 5061.

Been looking at different options - teleflex/Morse single lever control and (18' cable), DC THROTTLE CHOKE OR FUEL SHUTDOWN FOR CONTROLS 123869 (don't know too much about this but it looks like it has the necessary parts if I am reading this right), etc. I am not sure what to buy especially with the huge variety in costs and far away places that I need to go to buy this thing.
**Yes, this is about chum trolling.

Question: Is there a preferred method that most of you use? Is there something to avoid? Any input will be appreciated.

ps - I would need a clevis for the lever and securing bracket too I think.
kjwelder
Spammer?: No

Re: Troll valve control

Post by kjwelder »

http://www.eztruckaccessories.com/searc ... =10&page=2

This is what I have on my boat and have seen on multiple boats. Cheap, easy to use and most importantly has the ability for fine adjustments.

Have also seen morse type levers or even hynadicl levers on seiners.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Troll valve questions

Post by Salty »

I have had troll valves on two different engines. I have not used mine in many years. They might be fine for long tacks downwind on the ocean but they do not work well when constantly adjusting speed as I do fishing chums. They also do not work well for charging off pinnacles, as I seem to do about every 10 minutes or so. Be sure to have a control in the pit unless you or someone is constantly at the wheel in the house. Adjusting them seemed to be a constant pain, as I struggle to keep the right speed as kelp and fish accumulate or are cleaned off the line, a breeze comes up, or I run across a tide rip or change direction.
If you are thinking of chum fishing I highly recommend an engine, gear, prop, and charging system that lets you troll down to 1.0 knots without a troll valve or drag bags. You can do it using them but it is a real pain. I would quit chum trolling if I was forced to deal with either.
But, then maybe I am ready to quit chum trolling, period. Am not in Icy Straits yet. But then I feel the same way about bow poles now, I would quit if someone took them away.