Landed Prices

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
SalmonSeeker
Spammer?: No

Landed Prices

Post by SalmonSeeker »

How do I best find current prices being offered by the different processors?
F/V Comanche
lone eagle

Re: Landed Prices

Post by lone eagle »

I trust my processor to be competitive, but guys ask others who have just delivered and some will call the plants ahead. Most guys around here sell to the same plant unless a cash buyer shows up ...then it's ante up
SalmonSeeker

Post by SalmonSeeker »

Lone Eagle,
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to put a proforma business plan together and need to plug some realistic prices in for salmon, tuna and dungeness crab.Also account for any seasonal variations if possible. Would there be any extension agents that might help?
Thanks in advance for the help!
F/V Comanche
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Salmon Seeker,
Lone Eagle has it right. Most of the fleet just sells to the same buyer year after year and trusts them to be competitive. It is really hurting our troll prices because the processors have little incentive to raise the price because the fleet doesn't respond.
SPC is a different deal because the fishermen own the plant and are trying to always get the best deal for the fishermen.

Nevertheless, I check prices with local processors and tenders where-ever I am and reward those leading the way with price increases, retro's, and services. Recently, here in Sitka, the difference was a dollar a pound on troll chinook. Today, it is 50 cents. I check the prices every time I have a few fish and reward the price and service leader unless I am co-oping the fish for a whole variety of good reasons.
I also communicate with my buyers and tendermen both in terms of what I am looking for and especially in appreciation for service.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Salmon Seeker,
Lone Eagle has it right. Most of the fleet just sells to the same buyer year after year and trusts them to be competitive. It is really hurting our troll prices because the processors have little incentive to raise the price because the fleet doesn't respond.
SPC is a different deal because the fishermen own the plant and are trying to always get the best deal for the fishermen.

Nevertheless, I check prices with local processors and tenders where-ever I am and reward those leading the way with price increases, retro's, and services. Recently, here in Sitka, the difference was a dollar a pound on troll chinook. Today, it is 50 cents. I check the prices every time I have a few fish and reward the price and service leader unless I am co-oping the fish for a whole variety of good reasons.
I also communicate with my buyers and tendermen both in terms of what I am looking for and especially in appreciation for service.