Starting from scratch

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Scotland
Spammer?: No

Starting from scratch

Post by Scotland »

Joining Industry

Postby Scotland on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:05 pm
Hi Guys & Gals,
I would very much appreciate any advice you all could give. Let me introduce and give you my fishing history. I am a Scotsman who fished the Bering sea and SE AK for 15 years. Some crabbing but mostly Longline along the Aleutian chain and Gulf, one season I was at sea or doing turn-around in Dutch Harbor for 11 months, usual was 7 months. Spent 4 seasons Trolling for Kings and Cohos in SE, that was my summer break, loved it. Also did a few longline trips off the coast of washington. Lived in the apartment above the Lockspot Bar. I was a member of the Deep sea fishermans union of the deep Pacific. Fished on the Schooner Republic with Duie Torgensen among many other big and small boats. I engineered for years, replacement skipper on Blue ice but deck work I enjoyed most. Love being on the sea. Stopped fishing in 1999 due to back injury. Currently back living in Scotland but hold US citizenship. I am now 50 years young and life is just begining.
Well I will be looking to fulfill my life's ambition and buy an Alaskan Troll permit and a boat. My youngest son is now 13 and I will be looking to buy in 2 years time when he can travel alone. I will have 90 -100K to spend for both permit and boat. To be realistic I would be looking for a wood boat of 42', traditional deep draft west coast Troller with ice hold in good to very good shape, truly turn-key preferably with enough troll gear to see me through first season. I see that permit prices and also boat prices are inflated at the moment, as I have been watching market for a long time.
I have three questions to pose:-1- Do you think this a wise investment? Taking into account the salmon quota being transferred to charter fleet, or has this stabilised. I do intend to keep the hooks in the water, I'm not expecting to fish for 8 weeks a year and make tons of cash. I am doing this for lifestyle change, any money will go back into boat or towards quota / permits, apart from some travel money and living expenses. Wife works in UK and is self sufficient for self and family.
2- Do you know of anyone with this type of boat looking to retire or move on to F/G or larger boat in the time period mentioned. I served my apprenticeship as a vehicle builder,spent 2 yrs as heavy equipment mechanic / fitter. Worked as port engineer both in Seattle and at Magone Marine in Dutch so boat would be well cared for with feeelng, skill and experience.
3- I believe that Fir on oak beams would be preferable to Cedar, am I correct in this? Are there any other types of wood to prefer or avoid. Also which fixings are best:- s/s, brass, bronz or other?
Any and all feedback woul be much apprciated, Cheers, Robbie (PS Can't remember much about trolling except pulling and caring for product)
lone eagle

Re: Starting from scratch

Post by lone eagle »

Hey Robbie, not much chatter at the moment as most guys are no doubt out on the grounds. I fish salmon in Oregon so have time on my hands. I too came along way to fish salmon hailing from Ilkley moor baht'at . Anyway I don't fish in Ak so can't speak to the wisdom of buying into that fishery but can offer 2 cents on wooden boats as I own one. Don't buy junk as you'll end up married to it timewise and workwise, with glass boat you can pull it when done and pretty much walk away for the rest of the year. And down here I believe most boats are planked with white cedar (Port Orford) Which below the waterline seems to last forever, galvanised square boat nails hold it together. check the frames if you can. My boat has the frames replaced the original oak ,in the fish hold crumbled away. If you're down this way boat shopping then feel free to stop on by, Chris
Scotland

Post by Scotland »

Thanks Chris,
I may well stop in as I plan to buy a boat outwith Ak to get a better price and it will be cheaper on parts and any work I need to pay for. Do you know anything about buying a Canadian boat and having it registered for US commercial use? I went to Sitka in 2010 to look at a F/glass boat, Nice Big heavy boat with all main deck equipment of top quality, but had some issues that were difficult fixes below decks, and well it just didn't feel right at the time. Anyway when I was there I spoke to couple of guys who had bought Canadian boats, something about having them certified to hold under 6000lbs I think. Anyone know how to go about that and the costs involved?
Robbie.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

My dock neighbor bought a 40' Canadian glass boat (freezer) for about $80k. has to be measured less than 5 ton I believe which is done in Canada. That information is on this site somewhere....
Scotland

Post by Scotland »

Many thanks guys,
Much appreciated.
Robbie
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

Canadian to US registration - http://www.salmontrolling.com/viewtopic ... tion#p2492 might search "documentation" also
Scotland

Post by Scotland »

Thanks for the info guys, There are some really nice boats on that website (Pacificbrokers). Some of the Ex trollers converted to pleasure have been really worked on. Converting back shouldn't be too much of a problem. The paperwork also seems pretty straightforward. The boat I saw in Sitka was a big wide 45' vessel, so it seems size doesn't pose too much of a problem to the 5 Ton issue. Could I convert one back, if it had stabilizer poles, Using a set of used gurdies in good condition for around 10K?
Cheers,
Robbie.
waynenap

Post by waynenap »

I'm amazed at the prices of the boats in BC. They are practically giving these things away. There are some decent deals in Oregon and Ca. as well.

Wayne
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Just wait until all the Alaska trollers hit the market after this season.
Scotland

Post by Scotland »

Salty,
What's up with the AK Troll season this year? No fish, or too many and low prices or combination of both.
Also are the state authorities still reducing Troll quota each year in favour of charter fleet?
Cheers,
Robbie.
stormbird

Post by stormbird »

Robbie,
Check your PM box.
Blaise