Deckhand pay

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Blue duck
Spammer?: No

Deckhand pay

Post by Blue duck »

What is basic starting point to pay a deckhand on a 2 person operation thanks
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Deckhand pay

Post by fveureka »

In alaska, there is a deckhand agreement you can sign with the puller. Pay should always be based on experience and % of catch. Say a greenhorn that shows up and cleans the boat, under instructions learns some maintenance, but can't really run the pit without a very watchful eye, you see several #2 fish show up after the first trip because they do not yet have the fish cleaning down or improper icing just yet about %5 of the dock sale each trip. Say you had a decent week, you made 10k, the greenhorn made $500. Now if they still do not get the basics down, are getting frustrated, start getting real sloppy with the cleaning, icing and dropping gaffs, the next trip start docking that pay or consider getting a radio or cell phone call out to find another deckhand that is trainable or experienced. You will find that there are about 3 levels out there and a few ACES. DOE, %5, %10, 15%, ACE that one guy is worth up to %25. If your a highliner, can sit back smoke a stoggy, bs on the radio and just get to the cold storage watch em unload a hold full everytime without any worries. That's what I am talking about. I think I will write a deckhand nightmare story on this site called the day I put Colorado Phil on the plane. If I don't get to it....You tell a greenhorn 3 times not to do something and they do it...they are dangerious and you are up for a Maritime injury lawsuit. Buy more P&I insurance my friend or put those Dorthy's from Kansas back on the plane.
charger

Re: Deckhand pay

Post by charger »

I also struggled with this, When icing fish I only use one deckhand can keep up with 300 fish day. I pay my experienced guy 15% off the dock price less fish tax if he quits or is let go he gets 12% for leaving me hanging. When freezing I was told not to go over 25% for crew off the top. my ace takes 12% again if he leaves 10%, second gets 10%and 8% early departure, greenhorn 8% and 5% till he pulls his load. It its a great year I throw a bonas at end of seasion at pay off, and if I want them back the following year Chrismas is a good time to give another kicker. If they say my buddy is getting 25% say sure after fuel and food and your insurance, usually they wont take that one. Good luck