Leader storage

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
akfisher78
Spammer?: No

Leader storage

Post by akfisher78 »

Any input on the best way to store leaders to keep them in good shape? Leader from wire to Flasher not flasher to bait!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Leader storage

Post by Salty »

I crimp my loops into the leaders and store them on the three pound leader spools after I use the leader up.
Crimp your loop then run the loop through the loop on the end of the previous leader, then wrap your leader on the spool until you come to the loop on the other end. Your crimp should catch on the inside of the loop just enough to give you enough purchase to keep it tight for your first wrap.

I have 2, 3, and 4 fathom leaders stored on these spools. For one fathom or 9 foot leaders I just coil them into the gallon zip lock bags at up to 20 a bag after crimping the loops on.

Hint, do not use Jinkai sleeves, they will corrode and fail. I use cheaper much better anodized sleeves. I also double the sleeves on Chinook leaders as at the heaviest pulls most sleeves will slip and then fail. Double sleeves hold up to the point that the line will break first.

Of course the cheap, modern thing to do is use Oregon Leader for your snap to flasher or spoon leaders and then you don't have to worry about sleeves.

Hope this helps.
akfisher78

Post by akfisher78 »

Thanks Salty thats a great idea! How about tying off to the hook? Is it OK to just tie a knot to the Hook instead of using sleeves, thats what I was planning?
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I've always just tied my hooks strait to the leader. A good knot will hold better than any sleeve. Be sure to cinch the know down as tight as possible though. A big king will test it out thoroughly.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
akfisher78

Post by akfisher78 »

Awesome Garrett thanks a bunch!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I use both knots and sleeves in attaching the hooks.
What I don't use anymore are swivels in either my chum lures or hootchies behind the flasher. I prefer sleeves to knots though because they don't kink the line and are stronger (when doubled up).
I have a neat trick a super fisherman, now deceased, showed me for attaching my hootchies to my leaders which has improved both hootchie handling and bites.
Will reveal via PM to the next person who donates to the site.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

I am not Deceased, Dad.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I just get most of my good ideas from you, not all of them.