Tuff Flex

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
akfisher78
Spammer?: No

Tuff Flex

Post by akfisher78 »

Anyone here ever use Tuff Flex? Thinking of Putting it on my decks. Anyone have any hints, pros or cons?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Tuff Flex

Post by Salty »

kjwelder who sometimes visits this site, is experienced with it.
akfisher78

Post by akfisher78 »

Thanks Salty! Maybe he will come by this post!
Drew

Post by Drew »

I helped apply it to another boat 2 seasons ago. I'm going to try to put it on my own boat this season if I can find the money.

Just make sure that you have 2 people when applying it. One person just mixing small batches and one person applying it. It gets tacky really quick so you have to continuously mix up small batches. The colder you keep it the more time you get to work with it.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Read the instruction available at Murray pacific!
Use a squeegee to apply, use a drill with paint stirrer to mix, remove all tar with a planer in cold weather, apply primer to dry wood, have fun.
salmon4u

Post by salmon4u »

stuff is bullet proof.. you might want to take a look at Polyflex also
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Polyflex and polytuff are pretty much the same stuff. Also heard it called traffic guard.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I used Tuff Flex on top of the pilot house and the bow, running back to the main deck on a 36' wood boat that was quite leaky. Never leaked after that. The Stuff is bomb proof and gives very good traction if you add the rubber sprinkles.

It's *not* fun to apply. Especially not in the rain, under a tarp, with a flashlight in your mouth, and tuff flex in your hair. Plan ahead. Because when the primer is ready you gotta apply the goop now!
Journey
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Journey »

It takes a while to set, so if you put it on a sloped surface and don't want it to run you may need to block the down-hill side. Also, the rubber chunks are nice, but not necessary.
Laura
Furuno

Post by Furuno »

This is great stuff! I first put it on the back steel deck. I liked it so much that the next year I did the foredeck, the top of the pilot house, the troll pit, and the shower. Before applying the surface must be clean and free of loose paint. Wait for a warm sunny day. Do the primer first thing in the morning and wait until it's just barely tacky. The previous advice about having a helper to mix the rubber coat is very good advice. Throw the ground up tennis ball fragments on while the rubber is a bit tacky. Apply the top coat the next day after the 2nd coat is dry. Tuff Flex has eliminated most of the deck maintenance I had to do every spring. Codfoot
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

Update on what I have learned about Tuff Flex. I spoke to a very experienced and well known Shipwright today about Tuff Flex on wooden decks so this surely wouldnt apply to the Steel Decks or Glass when guys are looking for a non skid surface. I was told that Tuff Flex is very bad for wood decks because of the Alcohol in the product. He told be after using on wood decks of several seiners and trollers he no longer uses this product because it causes the wood to Rot! This is just one opinion but I figured I would share it!
Drew

Post by Drew »

akfisher1978 wrote:I was told that Tuff Flex is very bad for wood decks because of the Alcohol in the product. He told be after using on wood decks of several seiners and trollers he no longer uses this product because it causes the wood to Rot! This is just one opinion but I figured I would share it!

The boat that I helped to apply it to put a layer of tar and then marine plywood over the wood decks, before applying the primer and tuflex.