Bait Biters

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
akfisher1978
Spammer?: No

Bait Biters

Post by akfisher1978 »

Anyone have any thoughts on them? I alway rig herring with much lighter leader like 50 lbs with a double hook rig, but I know this wont work with heavier leaders! So does the bait biter help with the rotation or just secure it and keep it from washing out and make it last longer? Any hints appreciated! Treble or Single?
Carol W

Re: Bait Biters

Post by Carol W »

Bait biters work threading is better.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I agree with Tom.
JKD

Post by JKD »

You will get different opinions about Bait Biters. In my experience they shouldn't be overlooked because on some drags I have repeatedly found that they work much better than threading and can be re-baited and put back into the water a lot faster. If you commit to using either technique with herring you should have "dozens" of both biters and threaded herring ready to go. It doesn't take many clatters [or scrap fish] to go through what has taken hours of careful preparation to stockpile. I suspect that bait biters may keep the firecrackers (or strips) from washing-out quite as quickly as threaded herring, but in either case the bait has to be changed-out on a regular basis to keep the best presentation available when the next school of smileys notices your gear.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

I've heard good things about "Pacific King Bait Biters" but can't find them anywhere, even ebay. Anyone know where/if they are still available?
Matt on the F/V Aurora
dilligaf

Post by dilligaf »

I use baitbiters when the "bite is on" for sure. When shallow fishing, I put one above the threaded herring. Something about the line shaking, and the action of the baitbiter when that happens, gets an extra one once in a while. Better than a spoon.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I remember running one blue bait biter on the top spread a few years ago winter fishing. All the rest were nice threaded herring. Caught the biggest king of the winter on it that day. I think I will go dig up my unused bait biters and sell them here.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Salty, if they are pacific king bait biters" I'm interested in some! Apparently they are/were all the rage with a group of local hand trollers here. I think the pacific king ones are torpedo-shaped and long.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I will try and go find them in the garage. It never ceases to amaze me how gear waxes and wanes in popularity. Perhaps the king salmon cycle through their tastes.
Thorne Isl.
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Thorne Isl. »

I was looking around and found these..

http://pacificnetandtwine.com/index.php ... ef65278040

If Salty doesn't have them, hopefully this is what your looking for. I found them in the tuna trolling section.