Spring Openings

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
akfisher1978
Spammer?: No

Spring Openings

Post by akfisher1978 »

Anyone know when the Spring openings open? Are they the same every year or does the ADFG release the dates which are subject to Change? Thanks in advance!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Spring Openings

Post by Salty »

The Spring fishery is announced as soon as the Winter Troll season duration is determined. Usually in late April. This is because if the Winter Chinook season ends in mid April the Spring season will start in April rather than the first week in May. The Spring and Summer troll plan are discussed around SE in port meetings in April.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

You can sign up for the Com Fish news releases; http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=cfnews.main and get them the day they come out
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

Thanks Mydona big help!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Mydona,
What are you thinking giving away information that will help other trollers like how to sign up for the secret troll season announcements? If it gets crowded at these openings we know who to blame.
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

too funny Salty Guess I'd better not mention that AK's com fish web page has a trillion links to legal area descriptions (for those secret season fishers that want to fish both sides of a line [less crowded that way]), license renewal, boat owners by name/boat number/years of participation. Board of Fish meetings/proposals. (for those of us that want to be involved), intent to transfer a permit lists (Looking for a permit?)etc. Last time I explored that page my butt got as sore as a 20 fish day (at least my neck didn't hurt swiveling between lines wondering WTHecks wrong)
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

There are actually people complaining to the Associations and Dept. about too much information available too quick. Good luck with that guys.
I got accused of fishing over the line last year in Behm Canal when the line was clearly marked with a fish & game sign on the beach and there was cell reception at that site. Took two seconds to call the Dept. and get that clarified for those who were confused. My attitude is information is good.
Thank you for sharing, but remember in this day and age by the time it gets posted on an Association or Dept. web site it is ancient information good for entertainment and historical research, not so good for what to do tomorrow.