Hook Size

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
akfisher1978
Spammer?: No

Hook Size

Post by akfisher1978 »

I know hook size is a preference but do you use different hook sizes for Hoochies and Spoons or the same? I would think a larger Superior would use a larger Hook? Any Comments
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Hook Size

Post by Salty »

Every spoon has a "magic" hook that turns it on for the speed you fish at. The general rule is one hook size above the spoon size but there are notable exceptions such as using the old 11 duranicle on a certain # 7 spoon.
The main thing on open eye hooks is that the stainless ones weaken when you squeeze the close and need to be replaced every season. And the iron ones rust. Any ideas for dealing with this problem?
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I noticed this year that my new s/s mustads corroded at the swivel...perhaps need to change out my swivels?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Usually the swivel goes before the hook. Some of us don't use swivels into a hook. Swivels into spoons and flashers but not into plugs or hooks. Particularly not SS swivels into iron hooks.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

No swivel when rigging a hootchie? I've always rigged it so but never had a problem 'til recent