new family crew pillar point

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
alspomr
Spammer?: No

new family crew pillar point

Post by alspomr »

hello commercial trollers
my name is Al i a am fishing with my brother and niece this years salmon season.we have a1972 28 foot monterey double ender fiberglass that has a slip on pillar point half moon bay "Ti-TI Babe".we have restored various wood pieces aboard ,repainted top deck,replaced all bonding wire and had zincs looked at also replaced 95% of all wiring ,removed and fabricated a new base for hydro pump as this is why this boat was down.all navs seem to operate o.k .we have installed a new raw water strainer and impellor.the perkins runs good .
We have never fished commercial gear before and were needing all the advice we can get and its all welcome.some questions:
1 we have the gear that came with boat much is self explanitory but the gear of the gurdies is a bit confusing can anyone give any links to for pictures of a correct trolling profile with wings on outside and the proper placement of gear from weight to gurdie .we have 3 gurdies per side no hay rack.
2 the best way to work the catch,clean,bleed and ice process ? especially with double ender as we dont have a large back deck.
3do we use sea water to clean fish or fresh water ,including in fishhold ?
4what is the insurance that fisherman use for boat,liability and workmans comp.?
5 what other things are we missing we have talked to most of the comm. fisherman near us and asked for as much advice
thank you in advance al
al spomr crew of "Ti-Ti Babe"
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: new family crew pillar point

Post by Abundance »

Sounds like you have good adventure ahead of you. I am sure that many of your questions will answer themselves as time goes on, I am not entirely sure what you want with on question number 1. Do you want to know how many lures to put on each trolling wire? If so I am afraid that that is not a easy answer. I try to get lures about three or four fathoms apart for kings, unless they are really biting. For question number two, are you icing in your hold, or on deck? Truthfully, what system works best varies from boat to boat. Was your boat set up for trolling? If so, things should be where they need to be to get started out. Number three, we always use salt water, either with a pressure hose or a bucket if need be. If using fresh water is somehow easier, say you already have a pressurized system, that would work. It would just be a bit wasteful of fresh water.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Al,

Follow the link or paste the address below into your browser for an old, but good article with pics and diagrams.

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt4 ... ntire_text

fvsedna posted a diagram in a recent thread on twisting trolling wire that may be helpful.

Lane
alspomr

Post by alspomr »

to abundance. thanks for reply we will be icing in fishhold.yes the boat is setup for trolling and has a removable cleaning station .i am thinking that the salmon should get to ice as fast as possable so im seeing videos showing that with two people one is landing while the other is gilling ,gutting bleeding with a jet of water and then in ice.the question i guess is there any methods that are important that im missing.
Question what are the hay racks used for?
To silver t. thanks i will check that link. much appreciated
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Al,

Abundance is probably out catching. One of the best pictures of a good hay rack on a troller is on page two of the thread titled, "for Salty." Use the search feature in the upper right corner to find it. That thread shows and discusses nearly everthing they are used for. Most build them to keep the rain off, but they are also helpful to keep the sun off on hot days. They really add a lot of comfort. We have a smaller boat and don't need to store anything on top so we used light 2" aluminum tubing to build, then had a boat top fellow add rivets around the perimeter and create a canvas cover. 2 features made it particularly nice to work with, neither of which were my idea. The height can be easily changed with pins and it's hinged so that it swings out of the way for unloading. Hay racks are well worth the time and effort to build.

Lane
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

Sorry, had a long day working on my boat. I have found that when icing fish, it can sometimes be best to keep a tote of slush water on deck to put the fish in before icing them in the hold. Putting the fish in a bed of ice immediately, and they will bleed all over themselves as well as heat up your fish hold. It only takes a couple of minutes in slush before they are chilled down and ready to wipe the blood out and put to bed in the ice.
alspomr

Post by alspomr »

to Silvert thanks for explaining the hay rack. i guess we wil have to fish a season to see what we are missing without the hayrack.i will get some pictures posted of Ti-TI-Babe ,picture is worth a thousand words.
the boat has a boom straight out the stern that appears to be for hauling a net on boardalthough it doesnt swing to port or starboard seems it would be in the way of hayrack. anyone know what this boom is specifically for?
to Abundance hope you had a good catch,what are you trolling for know? i get it we have to cool the salmon with slush then bleed out then n the ice.
next question right know the only water on deck to clean fish is the raw water leaving heat exchanger and that is how it fished before. is this common? i was thinking of adding a thruhull another strainer and pump for cleaning fish and boat. is this they way to go or should i go with the warmer heat exchanger water?
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

My first boat used water from the heat exchanger for the deck hose. Itworked just fine, as the water was barely warmer than when it was sucked aboard. It was a pretty cold running engine though, so it might not work for everybody. It is worth trying, then deciding if you like it or not. Most booms around here are rarely used, but are usually for raising and lowering skiffs or other heavy things off the deck and into the water. If you dont see a use for it, you can take it off until you do. Right now, people here are fishing for king salmon or rockfish. I'm not actually fishing right now, just doing boat work.
alspomr

Post by alspomr »

Garrett
I think that is how the boat has fished before using heat exch. water as deck water.I think were going to install another thru hull and pump so we can have good pressure to spray down boat.boom is not in way so it can stay for know
this Saturday i have the black box to put together and wire in,it was used before although with the other wiring it rotted away.i have read about a posative voltage being introduced to gurdie to compensate for negative voltages that come from all metal parts on water.Does everyone have a black box of some kind or do some need it and some dont?
thanks again and good luck with your boat work
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

The black box has been discussed before on here. You should be able to find everything that we know on an earlier thread. Short answer is that it works, its best to at least have around, but it is not going to get fish to bite if they aren't around.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

Not unusual to have a fixed boom running aft. My partner calls it a walking boom...handy for walking. but acts as part of the backstay. My washdown uses warmer water from the gearbox but isn't much warmer than raw water so I'm good. plenty of big boats use davits in lieu of hayrack...but we don't fish the rain so much down here, and had a bad experience using fresh water with ice to make slush!!
adkgar

Post by adkgar »

If you are looking for a new/used pump, I have one listed in the for sale area of this site. Not sure what you are looking for, but in is a perfect pump for washdown/emergency bilge/circulation in hatch, etc. Will move a lot of water ie 63 gal/min at 1700 rpm. Good luck.