Change in career

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
johnJr

Change in career

Post by johnJr »

I have REALLY enjoyed Jon's posts documenting his boat and professional progress.
I am a high school science teacher in New Mexico who was born in Ketchikan, and attended Bear Valley elementary and Kayhi.
Anyway, I am tired of working for others (especially the incompetent public school officials, though not all of them are bad by any means) and I have been trying to move back and STAY in SE AK for the last 10 years. It seems that I move back and something always happens...family member sick...wife gets homesick for lower-48, etc., etc. I have moved up AND BACK three times in the last 10 years.
I have always wanted to try my hand at trolling because many in SE AK have told me before that trolling is a very family friendly type of business (by that I mean a boat can be operated by husband/wife team, father/son, etc.)
My dilemma is this: I have worked on a seiner before and I have some fishing experience, but I never really thought to ask the captain, "So, how does one get started in commercial fishing?"

So, salmon trolling forum, I now pose that question to YOU...how DOES one get started? Step one is.....?
johnJr

Re: Change in career

Post by johnJr »

oh yes, and I forgot to mention that working a summer or two to learn the ropes would be great too if anyone needs some help this summer...

thanks for your help and advice :D
gumpucky

Post by gumpucky »

Your right to want to deck hand for a season or two to get the feel for the buisness.Your best bet is to go to Sitka about the middle of June and beat the dock.Walk around every day and ask people on their boats for work,post on the reader boards at all the harbors(there are 5 in Sitka).Hang around the P bar and Ernies.Don't expect instant results as a "greenie"but as the season opener gets nearer you'll find yourself getting shown some interest as the experienced hands get snapped up.Another good way to get exposure is the problem corner hour on the A M dial 1230 at 11:00 am every weekday.It's an open forum for people to call in with their offerings and gets the ear of most Sitkans.Pack a sea bag with a couple changes of clothes and lots of socks and your rubber gear and sleeping bag.Power troll permits are selling around 35k,handtroll around 9.5k and a passable starter boat is around 20k so it's not cheap to just show up and fish.Good luck and patience will pay off.
Jon
Spammer?: No

Post by Jon »

Well, step by step you would...

1) Buy a boat. I've seen fine starter boats for as little as $5,000 last year (wood power troller called the Fool's Gold)
2) Buy a permit. You will probably make about twice as much power trolling and you will have a much easier time physically. The avg. hand troll vs power troll yearly earnings are available on the ADF&G website.
There is an Intent to Transfer list online. Anyone who wants to sell their permit must be on this list. You can cold call the list or use a brokerage to find a permit to buy.
Search by Fishery. Power Troll permits are S15B and Hand troll permits are S05B.
3) You'll either have a boat registered in Alaska with an AK number or you'll have a federally registered boat called a "Documented Vessel".
If you have a Documented Vessel you fill out form CG-1258. If you have a boat registered in Alaska you fill out AK 841.
When you get confirmation that this step has been done and the boat is in your name with whichever authority you can move to the next step.
4) Apply for a Commercial Vessel License with the CFEC (about $60).
5) Place your ADF&G numbers on your boat along with the little triangle sticker you'll get in the mail. I'd suggest you also make sure you're in compliance with the coast guards safety requirements.
6) Go fishing. The spring troll openings around Sitka are great for learning how to troll. You can fish in perfectly flat weather, figure out how not to lose lots of lead on the bottom of the ocean, catch a couple kings each day, and maybe even pay for expenses.

There are small companies that can help and/or speed up any step of the process (except 6). I was trying to remember who I used but I can't think of his name...