Rigging those Golden Bait Needle Fish

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Kelper
Spammer?: No

Rigging those Golden Bait Needle Fish

Post by Kelper »

Trying to expand my arsenal a bit.. Can't wrap my head around how to rig up those needlefish hoochies. What do your un in place of a gumpucky? What size hook?

Thanks!
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Rigging those Golden Bait Needle Fish

Post by mattakfish »

I've been using those this winter but haven't caught anything yet. They make plastic roller beads specifically for needlefish hoochies. But they are more of a stem with a bead on top..... I stick them in the head of the hoochie and run the mono through them same as a bead or a gumpucky. Not sure if I turned them around the right way. I found them at a site called johns sporting goods. A troller here told me to use them with a short tail leader (maybe 20 inches to the flasher). Id love to hear if you catch anything on them this winter.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Premade twinkle skirt, with the plastic head. I like Zacks, but put a drop of glue on the thread that holds the skirt around the head, theyre prone to falling aprt.
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

I confer with Yak2, Gold Star twinkle, dab of glue "Aurora" color. # 6 stainless mustad swiwash hook, tail lead about 24 inches, behind a 11 inch Oki or Hot shot, in the spring, preferably, a white one.