Red or Green Herring

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
akfisher1978
Spammer?: No

Red or Green Herring

Post by akfisher1978 »

I have always liked Red Label over Green but the other day made a phone call in Petersburg to buy a box from a small processor and was told they only sell Green because thats what trollers. I have used green and caught OK but always seemed to do better with Red. Could just be a goofy idea but thought I would see what people say here!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Red or Green Herring

Post by Salty »

Herring for salmon? I thought they liked plastic and metal? Plugs, spoons, hootchies, and plastic worms.

Actually I have used both extensively. I look at each batch and determine whether they are big plump red ones or lean little ones. Sometimes I decide the green look better to me, sometimes the red. I seem to mostly use red, but I did have a good spring a few years ago where I used almost exclusively green. A local highliner almost always uses the little orange ones if he can get em and they are in good shape. More important than the size is the quality. Every batch is unique. Some of the guys who have been getting a few this winter (very few) have advised me that some of the herring here is much better than others.

If you change sizes then you probably need to change the length from the eye of the hook to your second sleeve so it still nestles right in the mouth and provides a stop for your nose clip. Or you could just use bait biters and not worry about all those details. Also saves you a bunch of time cleaning salmon.

The question I have is Hawaiian or Costa Rican coffee beans?
squareface

Post by squareface »

100% Kona coffee!
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

I would have to agree with Squareface, I lived in Costa Rica for many years, nothing beats quality Kona Coffee! Costa Rica Coffee is over rated!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Kona it is, will try and report.
fanshawfan

Post by fanshawfan »

Salty... your comment on changing length from eye of hook to second sleeve lost me. I don't think I understand your "whole herring" setup. Is it a firecracker with a second hook?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Will send a picture. Post in a few.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

photo (15).JPG
photo (15).JPG (62.33 KiB) Viewed 18560 times
exaggerated a bit for demonstration. The forward edge of the sleeves are just lightly squeezed to minimize the tearing when being pulled through the herring.
The double sleeve does several things:

1. The forward sleeve rests right against the nose clip or paper clip.
2. Two sleeves are much stronger than one.
3. The double loop right where the leader is in the mouth minimizes loss due to abrasion.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Double sleeved loop for herring.
Double sleeved loop for herring.
photo (16).JPG (40.21 KiB) Viewed 18558 times
I often lightly squeeze the forward sleeve to minimize the tearing as the loop goes through the herring. Not enough to cut into the leader.

If you test single versus double sleeves you will find that when the single sleeve fails it first slides down and then splits. With the double sleeve the leader usually breaks before both sleeves slip.

I used to use plastic tubing in the loops but now I just buy tougher leader material and change the leaders regularly.

Feedback, is this helpful with the photo's? This is the getting started thread. Most of the seasoned troll salts have their own systems. My systems seem to evolve every year.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

Thanks for sharing. Very useful info.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I did like your photo illustration Mr. Jordan. I would likely be still puzzling out what you were describing otherwise. 90 percent of the information our brain absorbs is in visual form, and our brain comprehends images 60,000 times faster than it can text, at least according to my high school biology. Certainly a very appropriate way to explain things to beginners in my opinion.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
fanshawfan

Post by fanshawfan »

Great pics. Thanks much. Similar to mine, except I never thought of double sleeves... anxious to give it a try! I also like your advice to reduce tearing the herring, something I've often struggled with.