No Autopilot

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
octopus33
Spammer?: No

No Autopilot

Post by octopus33 »

This will be my second season hand trolling out of a skiff. So far - I'm loving it. With no autopilot whenever I pull one side, I have to correct my heading simultaneously. This is all fine unless I'm near other boats, trying to deal with some fish, or trying to hug a certain depth (while dealing with fish/hauling gear). I've got a pretty large spread for my little skiff so pulling one side really affects it. Wind is also a pretty big factor in my being able to fish. If its too windy and I'm headed into the wind - take my hand off the wheel for a little bit - and I'll end up getting whipped around, crossing up my gear.

I was wondering if any of you fellows had some tips to keep from veering off course too much - or if this is just something I'll need to deal with. Thanks.
Kelper

Re: No Autopilot

Post by Kelper »

I can relate. Tossing some small stabies in the water really helps, if you have poles. The trick for me was to have my steering wheel in hand range of my gurdies, and to anticipate the correction and make it before I started pulling. A center console really was helpful for that. I couldn't imagine having to run into a cabin to make a correction when going into the wind.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

It's not much different for a larger operation. The wind will still spin you around, and pulling one sides gear will make you veer off course just as surely. Joel has it right, you need a helm wheel in the cockpit, where you can keep one hand on it at all times. I remember what happened one trip where my aft steering station broke down, and I had to run all the way forward to the cabin to make steering corrections. Not a good thing at all. You definitely wouldn't want to be along the beach drags or in the midst of a fleet, that's for sure. An Autopilot or a deckhand in the cabin would be nice, but I got by for years without either one.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
octopus33

Post by octopus33 »

Unfortunately no stabies - just real long davits and yeah I have a center console in close range to my gurdies so I can correct while cranking. Sure would be a whole different thing if I had to run back and forth
fssem1

Post by fssem1 »

i have fished out of a skiff for 5 seasons i beleive.i have rigged,reriged,and even re re rigged the dang thing now. i had davits the 1st 2 seasons and i have had 16' poles the last three. wow what a difference those poles made. the boat holds a corse now with the poles and stabies. and i am sure my catch rate went up with the poles i lost a lot more fish on the davits alone.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Steering console is almost a must. It is usually correctible, unless your dragging line loads. What Ive had to do before is bring the side out, like half way in, just to relieve some of the leverage so I could make a turn. As long as you dont turn to sharp, you should be able to avoid crossing up. If weather or current is strong, shorten up, and run less gear. Less drag will make turning easier. Good fishin'!
Jigboatjohn

Post by Jigboatjohn »

I put Fiat rack and pinion steering on my first boat. I ran a small steering wheel up through the corner on my engine box next to the transom. It was great. I could reach over and maneuver the boat without going to the helm. I posted about floats and running wires and it should have been here. Maybe the rack and pinion idea might be something to look into. Good Luck John
jlc3

Post by jlc3 »

You really need stabies. Always use them, even when it's calm. when you change the position of one line by hauling it into the davit or back out, 3 other lines are all still dragging the same, instead of just one, and way less rudder correction is needed. When I skiff fished in 1987, I couldn't find ones to fit my little boat and bolted together aluminum angle, aluminum plate, and teardrop zincs to make my stabies. They worked fine.