installing Tuff Flex on decks

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Thorne Isl.
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

installing Tuff Flex on decks

Post by Thorne Isl. »

Has anyone used tuff flex on wood decks before? Dos and don'ts. Likes, dislikes. I know it is pricey for the coverage, but will it last a long time if done right?
Any info greatly appreciated!
AK :D
akfisher1978

Re: installing Tuff Flex on decks

Post by akfisher1978 »

Thorne Islands a shipwright in Wrangell said dont use it it will rot the decks! He said cetol it 4 coats twice a year if needed but he said he wont use tuff flex anymore and he was a big fan before! I am sure there are other opinions out there!
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

I have not used tuff flex but I have to chime in here. Who has time or weather for that matter to do 8 coats per year of anything? That's ridiculous. I know many people who have used tuff flex and had great results. You are supposed to get the wood clean of any tar or oily residues. I think like anything else the prep job is the hardest and most important part. There are certain temperatures and other particulars that are ideal for the actual application. Murray Pacific in Sitka carries the product and can likely give you any information and details you need regarding user reports and application.

I have seen folks have good results with truck bed liner as well. Apparently it's more durable.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I put down truck bed liner on my deck, and I have no complaints. There is always something better than whatever you end up using of course, but the Herculiner has stuck to my deck hard so far two years after application. Any areas that where somewhat damp when I hurriedly did the job worked their way loose, and whatever places were a bit oily. But, I did apply some once in an emergency patch up job in below freezing weather and it applied and set surprisingly well, so it does have that going for it in Alaska. Just be sure to mix it up very well, and keep in mind that a gallon doesn't go very far.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

I have no opinion other than what I was told by a reputable shipwright. He said you wont see it at first but the Alcohol content in the Tuff Flex rots the wood at a fast rate! He said he applied in on over a dozen boats but would never use it again.
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

I used this product on my pilothouse roof and am super pleased with the results. Granted, its not a high traffic area so I can't attest to its durability. But I can attest to it adhering really well to the previous coating (which was Ultra-Tuff) with zero prep. I applied 2 coats of the Snow Roof two years ago and it has not cracked anywhere and my roof is still no longer leaking. I was going to try using it on my bow deck and abandoned the idea when the I discovered the 5 gallons I bought was defective. I still might try it if I can find some in sitka.

It was way cheaper than tuff-flex and its a one part substance, like thick paint.

http://www.snowroof.com/product_detail. ... t_id=SR104
Thorne Isl.
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Thorne Isl. »

Thanks everyone for the info.
I have been reading up on the work sheet, the technical bulletin, and their website. Interesting stuff.
But a bit on the expensive side at $330. + freight for the gallon batch. An amazing 4 gallon pails (primer and the RBC) and a pint of accelerator. WOW!!
Thorne Isl.
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Thorne Isl. »

To JYDPDX I too am going to use the snow roof paint on the wheel house that is what was on it and it was working good. Also a lot cheaper.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I used snowcoat on my foredeck and no longer have to hang tarps over the bunk! on half of the deck i laid mosquito screen mesh and this has prevented cracking with summer shrinkage of the wood deck. To top it off i threw down a couple of coats of oil paint and find its a tough enough finnish for my needs.
Thorne Isl.
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Thorne Isl. »

lone eagle, thanks. Nice to know oil paint sticks good to the snowcoat. I'll definitely be adding the paint.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

can't remember if i used primer first or after the snowcoat. I ran test strips beforehand but so long ago....
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »