Downrigger converted into HT gear

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Vermillion
Spammer?: No

Downrigger converted into HT gear

Post by Vermillion »

I was wondering if anyone knew the laws on what exactly constitutes as HT gear. I'm looking at my hand crank Cannon downriggers and am wondering why I can't use these for running my gear. Anyone do this or know of why not to do this????
Kelper

Re: Downrigger converted into HT gear

Post by Kelper »

I see a small skiff in Craig that has something similar to what you are talking about. He seems to be up here every summer, doing the same thing. I have no idea what he catches though.

You are going to be limited on your ball size. I have cannon hand cranks for sport fishing, and they started cracking with 12lb balls. I was drilling stop holes and using marine tex. I did at one time put 1/16 trolling wire on them that I had sitting around. With that diameter wire, my blowback was crazy once I got deeper than 10fa sport fishing.

1, maybe 2 spreads per side with the weight of the balls you'll be able to use. Remember, you can't use rods in the summer time, so those sport downriggers will be taking a thrashing if you get into any kings. The mounts are weak. A 30lb king will pick up a 12lb ball and run with it. I'd have the downrigger arm supported. And if you should wander over a hungary 100lb halibut, you better have a spare downrigger or some weak leader.

I guess it depends on how many fish you need to catch though. If you want to dink around and troll up 20 cohos a day, then I'd say go for it. But, if you are looking for kings and more cohos, then I'd strongly recommend selling them, and getting some Kholstrand 2 speed gurdies. Have a custom welder weld something that will work for your boat, and the layout you have.

What kind of boat are you running?
Vermillion

Post by Vermillion »

Good input. I didn't think of some of those things. I am intending to use my Kholstrand gurdies but I still have to get my davits welded to my liking. I thought maybe it would be easy and cheap to beef up my cannon downriggers and use them but I think I would have to REALLY beef them up. Thanks.
Vermillion

Post by Vermillion »

I'll be fishing out of a 30' alluminum Khoffler
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

With that 30' Koffler, you'll want the best gurdies, as you'll have to catch a fair amount of cohos just to make fuel. With the king numbers the way they are, you won't have much time to keep them, but that won't keep them from jumping on your coho gear. Good luck this season. What port?
Vermillion

Post by Vermillion »

Juneau, you?
Vermillion

Post by Vermillion »

I'll be fishing the spring king season too so I think you're right. Better go with the bigger gear
fssem1

Post by fssem1 »

your boat is way to nice to limit yourself with a down rigger and a few spreds witch is all u will be abel to use. i live in juneau and have rigged up a few boats 4 catching! if u r interested u can contact me. i have a small boat in my yard u can check out as an example.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I hand trolled out of Juneau for parts of 4 summers. I ended up using four rods almost exclusively. But, we could fish 11 A then.