Pot Hauler

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Kelper
Spammer?: No

Pot Hauler

Post by Kelper »

Looking for advice on what kind of crab block hauler is recommended, and what ones to stay away from. I picked up a shrimp permit, and am going to try my hand at shrimping. 10 pot strings, 42" Lander pots. What's the best set-up? Davit?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Pot Hauler

Post by Salty »

Abundance, who is usually checking this site out can probably help you.
InTwoDeep

Post by InTwoDeep »

I need one also, but for the dive fisheries. Any info would be great
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I havent been avoiding anybody. I woke up a few mornings ago dreaming about corned bear roast, and began pursuing some. Then I got on an exploration kick and, well, Ive been in Bradfield Canal for some time. Anyway, I am not entirely sure what to tell you guys on this subject. I really havent experimented around much from the normal setup you see on every smalltime longliner or shrimper. Right now I have a hydroslave 12 on board, but it came with the boat. I didnt go shopping for it. Almost every setup that I can think of having seen came off a boom from the mast, where it could be swung aside or pulled up when not in use.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

I, also, use a 12" hydro slave. I like quick connects on hydrolic the lines to remove the hay rack for extra deck space plus I don't have to get out the wrenches and oil diapers for the job. A long floating line from the bag to the side in direct drive and falling loose on the deck works good. Then I switch lines for picking. I have found that the hauler can be a bit weak for pulling the big cuke bags over the bulwarks so I use a double block off the tip of the swinging picking boom with another single block in line with the hauler near the mast. A davit doesn't give you an option of changing heights for the longer bags over the rail and swinging up and on to the cleaning table. If I'm in the hurry up mood a few RPM's gets it done. Also if there is tension on the pot line the pinch of the slave makes it almost hands free. I have used just the top of the puller to pull the dive hose at times when we come up at the full 300 ft out and want to help my swimmer in. Hose splices don't like this much nor does the communication wire taped to the hose.