New to working gurdies

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Vermillion
Spammer?: No

New to working gurdies

Post by Vermillion »

I finally made it out a couple of days ago and made my first set. my gurdies are attached to the davits and the cable running up to a pulley with a spring attached. In ten minutes my spring was bouncing and I cranked up a 26" shaker. Was pretty excited. Nothing else for three days on the gear. I ran rods on day two of the trip and picked up an 18lb king and a couple of other shakers. On day three when I went back to gear my gurdies weren't working quite right anymore. My brake would go from tight to way too loose and the spool would almost backlash it came out so fast. I tried over and over to adjust the brake and couldn't get it to work. Both are that way now. I took off the springs and its at least somewhat manageable but a real pain; and I'm not sure if I'd be able to know if I have a fish on. Any and lots of advice in this area would be great. Plus, anyone catching anywhere right now? I haven't seen anyone out or heard of many fish being caught.
lone eagle

Re: New to working gurdies

Post by lone eagle »

lubricate the brakes with water . i use my washdown hose. that helps stop the brakes binding
Vermillion

Post by Vermillion »

They lock easily. It's when I release the brake to let out when it goes from nothing to ninety with just a small little movement of the brake.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

sorry, for some reason i was thinking power gurdies