First season deckhand...gear checklist?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
FriendOfEvanWilliams
Spammer?: No

First season deckhand...gear checklist?

Post by FriendOfEvanWilliams »

Hey everybody, I'm about to go out for my first summer as a deckhand on a salmon troller in SE Alaska. I have a basic understanding of the job and I'm confident I can learn the finer details with experience. What I need to know, and can't find with Google, is a checklist of basic gear I need to bring with me. I'll be on a boat with a freezer, and spending a good amount of time at -40° glazing fish. Here is what I have already:

Grunden's parka w/ neoprene cuffs
Carhartt rain bibs
Muck brand steel toe insulated boots (plus a pair of Tufs for warm weather)
One dozen pairs of orange Atlas gloves large enough for liners
Wool socks

In addition to that, I'm gonna pick up a decent fillet knife, because while I'm sure there are knives provided, as a professional cook I'm weird about other peoples' knives. Probably a Forschner or a Wustof if I have the money.

As a total novice, I would appreciate any help and input you can all provide. And maybe the next time someone Googles "salmon trolling gear checklist", they will find this helpful thread.

Thank you in advance,
Jordan
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: First season deckhand...gear checklist?

Post by Abundance »

sounds like you've pretty well got it covered. A professional cook you say? Somebody is lucky to have you aboard. I have spent considerable time in a freezer hold, and they really arent to bad if you keep moving. Be sure to get some pictures of ice on your face, and enjoy your trip.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
mydona
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mydona »

a quick search for sweatshirt on this forum and here ya go, 1 of many the listed threads; http://www.salmontrolling.com/viewtopic ... hirt#p4603
FriendOfEvanWilliams

Post by FriendOfEvanWilliams »

Thanks, that thread is really helpful. I'm also bringing along a boot dryer, because I imagine it will be pretty warm and I hate sweat-wet boots. I'll make sure to get some photos and I'm sure I will have a blast. Anything to get out of working in busy Juneau tourist restaurants 80 hours a week for chump change all summer (hello to any Hangar on the Wharf customers).

Also, why does everybody keep saying that being a cook is a huge advantage? Can fishermen not cook worth a darn?
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

Well, I have a number of professional cooks in the family history, so I cannot claim to be too primitive. I would say that most fishermen are used to making do with very simple fare. Complex recipes and anything that requires diverting the crews attention from the job is not normal. I have heard a number of white bread and balony sandwiches and oatmeal everyday horror stories before.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
JKD

Post by JKD »

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered for outer wear. Make certain your outer clothes do not bind your movements - get them oversize so you have full range of motion. Pick up some pairs of durable insulated gloves that can take some wear and tear. A good hat with fully-insulated ear flaps that close/fasten at your chin will help keep you comfortable for long intervals of glazing. Make sure you take along an adequate amount of good-quality 2-piece cold-weather long-johns. You will be active down in the hold of a freezer troller but you may not be moving enough to offset the cold of the blast freezer - my crew brought neoprene face-shields and swore they were the ticket for glazing and stacking.

It is probably a bit too late to pick up a First Aid and CPR card, but the knowledge you gain in the training intervals would be appreciated by your skipper and anyone else on the boat. Pinching and crushing accidents can happen anywhere on a troller. I suggest you pick up your own supply of Aspirin, Aleve, ibuprofen or whatever you use for dealing with muscle aches and pains - you will be wishing you had some after a few days out of town. Your skipper may have a boat supply but he/she will appreciate you planning ahead to have some of your own.

Keep your ears open and have a great season.
bent fin

Post by bent fin »

bring some books you may have some long runs. you can trade them at the fish plant or fuel docks for new ones.dont forget your camera.