Tablets

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Kelper
Spammer?: No

Tablets

Post by Kelper »

Oh Technology..

Anybody using a tablet for back up charting and for a screen in the cockpit? I was reading on a sport fishing forum about cheaper Tablets that have a built in gps and you can get charting "apps" for them. hmm.. sure would be much easier than running a cord back to the cockpit.

What do you more tech savvy guys think? Something like this: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/lenovo-idea ... =253366672 and some sort of charting app? (and, what charting apps do you like?)
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Tablets

Post by Salty »

I use Navionics on my I phone. Kind of small but gives me a backup to my other two computers.

Eric
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I use Marine Navigator on my Android phones. I haven't found available on any Android tablets that I have looked at though. I have the entire NOAA chart system on disc from Managing the Waterways, otherwise you need to download each individual chart from NOAA's website.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
squareface

Post by squareface »

iNAVx for the iPad works great for back up and is sure nice cordless.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Thanks guys. I'm now looking at a 10 inch Toshiba tablet. Looks like I can get them for a reasonable price on Amazon if they are refurbished. They make a nice little bracket too. http://www.amazon.com/Digitl-Toshiba-Ad ... iba+excite
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

I was in a chain store and saw that they sell a clear plastic cover for protecting tablets.

It caught my eye because my son just used his tablet to break a fall into shallow water. The cover I mentioned above claimed to make tablets waterproof as well as protect from some shock.