Leaders

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
runninglate
Spammer?: No

Leaders

Post by runninglate »

We are new and learning sometime the hard way. Was wondering how long you guys make your hoochie leader that goes in front of the flasher. We use the 11" hot spot flashers. I have heard 27" to 36" even 48".
We are down here in the Monterey Bay area.
Thank you for your help in advance!
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Leaders

Post by curmudgeon »

I was told by a 35 year Alaskan troller to keep them 36 to 48 so you can grab the flasher not have to pull your arm back too far to get to the fish. (he has rotator cuff shoulder pain)

But in practice I suppose it'll depend a lot on how far you have to reach over the stern to bonk and gaff. If the leader's too short then it's hard to keep the fish in the water and somewhat quiet while reaching for the gaff, and too long and you'll have the flasher high in order to get the fish's head out to bonk.

My observation...
Siskiyous

Post by Siskiyous »

We use 28 "
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Runninglate: Did you really mean the leader "in front of the flasher" like you wrote? To me, that means the leader between the snap on the trolling wire and the leading edge of the flasher going forward through the water. The answers above seem to be for the "tail" leader between the flasher and the hook. And I think that is probably what you wanted to know anyway.
runninglate

Post by runninglate »

Once and Future wrote:Runninglate: Did you really mean the leader "in front of the flasher" like you wrote? To me, that means the leader between the snap on the trolling wire and the leading edge of the flasher going forward through the water. The answers above seem to be for the "tail" leader between the flasher and the hook. And I think that is probably what you wanted to know anyway.

Yes the one for the hoochies in front of the flasher. I guess we did a pretty good job as we did a run up to Point Reyes and did very good. Had several fish go 38 pounds and most where 20 pounds and up. Was good until we started for home and lost our steering. Had to run back 10 miles to Drakes Bay, anchor and replace the hydraulic hose.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Hootchies are usually behind the flasher ;-)
JKD

Post by JKD »

runninglate - To answer your question for the length of "tail" leaders for hootchies (the piece of monofilament with the hook that is attached to the BACK swivel of the flasher) - a lot depends upon your trolling speed. Every boat fishes flashers a little differently and experimentation is required to find what works best for your system. As a very general rule of thumb, the slower I troll Hotspot flashers for Kings the shorter I make my tail leaders - anywhere from 28 inches to 36 inches. If I am fishing Hotspots at a faster speed I move up to a longer tail leader - anywhere from 38 inches to 46 inches (I also use the latter principle if I am forced to fish in a trough where the boat is rolling enough to affect the action of the gear). For Abe & Al #1 flashers my measurements tend to be slightly longer than for Hotspots. Take note that these are "hootchie" measurements - towing bait behind flashers is a whole other artform where the hook can be as much as 8 feet behind the flasher. My method of measurement is from the inside of the bend of the hook to the eye of the flasher swivel.

What I found interesting is that you asked for these "closely-guarded" secret measurement(s) but didn't volunteer the length of the "hootchie leader" you were using to collect the Kings you described in your second post.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Hootchie or bait leader lengths are not measured in inches on most trollers. Inches is for sports.
In exchange for someone making a donation I will share how trollers determine tail leader length.