Moving up. HT to power

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
JPBrenn
Spammer?: No

Moving up. HT to power

Post by JPBrenn »

I've been hand trolling for two seasons now, and think I do pretty good. I have work in town, but I love to be out on the water catching. I think the biggest thing holding me back is my boat. I dont have the capacity to make 3-4 day trips, so I stay close to home (area 8) plus it's an outboard gas engine, pretty inefficient. If I did a real season, starting late spring kings, chum THA's, and finish up with cohos could a guy make a living? I figure my overhead to be about 25k/season (assuming no major mechanical issues), could I make a profit? ALSO, looking at a lot of fine canadian vessels, a lot with freezers. I was thinking my ideal dimensions would be about 40' x 10' to 12' (we like to hunt so winter time it would be nice to load four wheelers). Does anyone know how much of a pain it is to get it admeasured and registered with AK? I heard it was fairly painless... Get it measured under 5tons, go to dmv get it registered, then license to fish. Sounds easy, but it can't be that easy... can it? Any input is greatly appreciated. Oh yea, my wife and I will be the crew, so theres no share to pay out, or insurance. Thanks for reading