Winter King observations

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Breadline
Spammer?: No

Winter King observations

Post by Breadline »

I am new to hand trolling and we fished a few days last week to lose fish, lose balls on a reef, and other important activities that new pinheads must work out of our systems. Aside from the expected mishaps, I made some observations that I am wondering if are typical, or just pertained to that first trip, your thoughts would be welcome.
First, it seems that there are more kings closer to the open ocean entrances, we tried several places in Stephens Passage and eastern Fredric sound and did not find to much till we got closer to Chatham Strait.
Second, herring in various setups was the only thing that worked, no spoons, no hoochies, nothing.
Third, we lost a lot of good fish that just got off, it seemed that letting the fish stay on for a few minutes before cranking to work out their energy against the spring may reduce the number of fish that got off?
Fourth, while schools of herring were nearby, we did not seem to catch right near them, we never hooked up while there was a bait ball on the sounder.
Also, are 1/0 treble hooks on 100# mono leaders up to the task? I might have been inclined towards a bigger hook but not sure if it would turn the fish off.
Thanks everyone, I have learned much from browsing this site, and when I someday learn enough to be of use to others, I look forward to sharing the knowledge.
Drew

Re: Winter King observations

Post by Drew »

Treble hooks are notorious for losing fish in general and 1/0 is pretty small.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

1. There has been a better than usual bite in Frederick Sound this October so the fish are there.
2. It is a good idea to let the fish soak for two reasons: a) they are less lively at the surface and you are more likely to get them; b) a fish fighting on the gear is the best attractant for other fish to your other lures on that line.
3. 1/0 treble hooks are too small with heavy leader on a commercial set up. Most of us use 3 or 4/0 treble hooks.
4. The kings in SE are mostly deep this time of year. I have not caught a fish shallower than 30 fathoms below the surface this fall.
5. Most guys use bait this time of year but there are so many shakers around here that most of us have not run herring since the opening morning. I don't seem to catch on spoons this time of year, but plugs and hootchies usually work. I have caught all my fish on one flavor of hootchie since the second day of the opening.
Breadline

Post by Breadline »

Thanks so much for your responses!
JKD

Post by JKD »

Congratulations for surviving your first trip and still being interested in continuing to troll and learn the trade. Losing leads is the penance/cost you pay for learning where to - and where NOT to - drag troll gear. Your lead "offerings" to the salmon gods will subside as time goes on and with experience gained - but you will never completely escape the possibility of peeling a cannon-ball off just when you least expect to discover a shallow obstruction.

Your observations are relatively accurate. First: there are feeder King salmon to be found in all of the waters of SE during the fall and winter months, but generally there are more to be found closer to the ocean entrances. This situation changes each spring as spawner Kings move off the ocean and become available as they migrate through into the more interior channels. Second: herring is preferred as one of the most effective presentations for Kings at any time of the year - but (as is pointed-out above) treble hooks will wreak havoc on shaker Kings. Most trollers keep some salted herring on hand, but if the sub-legal Kings are around in numbers - they go through their gear arsenal to determine whether they have a replacement hootchie, plug, or spoon that will work almost as well. Third: I also have to agree with the others that small trebles tend to increase the loss of fish - I wouldn't go smaller than a 3/0. I leave my Kings on the wire for awhile to "cool them off". Fourth: I seek out bait fish schools and catch a significant percentage of my fish by skirting the edges of the schools or by keeping my bottom spreads below the bulk of the school.

Keep experimenting with your gear - what works on one boat may not work on your's. Try to replicate what you find in the stomachs of any Kings you catch. Darker colors seem to work best with the low-light conditions this time of the year. Keep your hooks in the water and good luck.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Breadline, I concur with JKD, sound advice. Off to the grounds.

In winter king fishing my trolling goal is even more important as it is often scratchy. My goal is always "one more bite."
Breadline

Post by Breadline »

Thanks again for the great feedback, I'l be getting some 3/0 treble, a larger assortment of hoochies and keep on tying the two hook leaders. I'll bet having the 3/0 hooks would have landed us at least 4 more fish the second day. I liked the standard two hook leaders but tying the egg loop knot on 100# mono is a real pain!
Yea, the trebles were hard to remove from the shakers, we did appear to release them all well and alive but I would hate to be responsible for killing any off I treat them like gold they, need to get bigger or spawn, not go back dead. I did notice also that the shakers and legal sized fish seemed to segregate, you were catching one or the other.
Can't wait to get back out, I am haunted by the image of that shaking spring and tinkling bell, that "one more bite" calls to me.
Thanks again gentlemen!
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

I loose way less lead when i set my sounder's depth alarm
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Must be nice tobe able to hear alarms after growing up on a boat.