New guy

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Oldschool 1
Spammer?: No

New guy

Post by Oldschool 1 »

My name is Andy Anderson and I have lost my mind, I want in. I own a auto repair shop in Aberdeen Wa. "20 years now" So I wont starve. I have a plan and I would like any advice anyone would be kind enough to offer. I want to buy a older trawler cruiser, mainly because they are fiberglass. Then I plan to take a sawsall and cut the rear of the house off and lower the rear deck and make a troller.. seems like it would work. Put a tote on the deck down low. They have diesels and most have everything I would need other than the troll gear. But I have not seen anyone doing this, around Westport anyway. What am I missing ? Will it turn turtle or what ? I want to do tuna too, so I hope to get heavy at times. Again any advice, I would be grateful. I have thick skin so call it the way it is...
Breadline

Re: New guy

Post by Breadline »

Well, since I have done similar projects to what you are describing and have been involved in extensive structural repairs, I'll give you my take on this. First you have to want to do this for the pure desire of the experience, do not think for a second that it will pencil out on paper, even if you value your labor at half a peso a day, speaking of the boat conversion, not trolling, I am new to that also. And unless you have a highly desirable model, you got below market value and have a lot of skill and drive to produce a high quality final product, you may have resell disappointment waiting for you, and lets face it, generally, no matter how much we love our boat at first, we probably some day are going to sell it. Now, as to most tiwanese trawlers, excluding grandbanks, nordhavn and probably some other expensive ones you won't be looking to chop up, I have done enough work on them to say with some conviction: stay far away from them. Them have some real problems you can't reasonably fix.
It's a buyers market for pleasure boats now, find a good build that can get you out there and try your trolling out as is, or with minor refitting. for instance, I know of a 28' tollycraft sportfish that is a doing well as a hand troller, and while it has been modified to better suit the owner, the boat as originally built would probably do fairly well and they are to be had in good running order for under $15,000, the down side is that they are gas powered usually.
Anyway, that is my take.
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

Thank you for the reply Breadline. Even though I know gas engines, I want to go with diesel. You know what I am looking at.. CHB and the like. You say they have problems that I cant reasonably fix, stringers ? I don't want that for sure. Anything else ? I can do wiring, don't care much about soft decks. The one I am looking at has a genset and is set up with electronics. If it has good stringers is it still a piece of crap ? I have low standards going in to this, I need fiberglass. diesel and somewhat safe. When my sport boat sells for 20k I will have that to work with. Plus whatever I can embezzle and the wife wont miss. I know McDonalds doesn't sell lobster, but my back is still good. And half a peso.. Seems like allot, why so much ? I will now go search sportfishers. I appreciate your input, what you say makes sense, they seem to sell for 125k or 25k. Thanks again.
Breadline

Post by Breadline »

Yep, CHB is one of the one's I am talking about. We replaced the decks on one once as they had rotted away, the construction consisted of randomly shaped and placed luan plywood scrapes sandwiched between two thin layers of mat, then the usual teak deck screwed down over it, with it's thousands of screws letting water in, it was unlike anything I have ever seen. The hull was single skin laminate but was obviously laid up sloppily. I can't recall the stringer construction, but were probably wood and would be suspect. Others similar craft I have seen have had a lot of cracked seams on cabin corners and such and they are rotting underneath.
Isn't there some Jones Act issues to deal with on a foreign boat also?
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

Once again , thanks Breadline. Don't want to get admeasure so not looking in Canada. You got me to actually read about the jones act. More informed and moving forward.
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

My boat sold. Looking at Tollys and Uniflites.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Old School 1, it sounds like you have some talents that would serve you well in trolling and maintaining a boat. Here's a couple of things to think about. Commercial boats and pleasure boat prices are affected by different drivers. Commercial boat prices are limited by the amount of income they can produce.(That also goes for fishing permits). They rise and fall dependent on the health of the fishery they are involved in. Replacement cost or building a new one is astronomically higher than market value for most fisheries. That is why there is no new boat building going on today. Pleasure boats have a different market and typically run closer to replacement cost than commercial boats. Right now because of economy problems etc. there are some bargains but you will still find that the price to convert a pleasure craft to a commercial craft will be going the wrong direction. When the fisheries were down and the economy was good many commercial boats were converted to pleasure craft to take advantage of the discrepancy. Another factor is that if the boat is fast and can be used in the charter industry (which generates a lot of income) the price will be high, in some cases higher than a pleasure boat of the same specs. Some trollers trying to find a boat like this face the competition of that market and are disappointed to find the boats out of reach. I have a fiberglass troller, and am guilty of spending more on the boat than I will ever get back out (exceeding the market value) but I guess I can chalk it up to tuition, Harvard would have been a bargain. Good luck on your search.
kingsalmon

Post by kingsalmon »

agreed, not an expert but done lots of shopping, if looking for a project I think you could find a setup commercial boat in need of repairs for the same or lower price then a pleasure boat in need of repair, and with the pleasure boat you have to do the repair then spend the money on setting up for trolling hydros gurdies poles..... But the pleasure boats often have much higher cruise speed...
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

As it is now I know I piss away 8 to 10 grand a year fishing, maybe more I don't want to know. So I got that going for me. I have not ruled any boats out. Except wood. I know what ever I buy something better will come along before the ink is dry. Honestly I am looking to start in tuna, less cost to rig the boat ,license, ect. Salmon is in the plan also but as you say, much more cost to rig for. Being based out of Westport the troll license would be a lease thing to start with. Keeping an open mind and still shopping. Very much appreciate your input, hope to hear more before I pull the trigger on this. Thanks again guys.
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Good Morning, I know of a 30 foot aluminum troller with a diesel that is for sale in Westport Wa. holds lots of fuel and does 14 to 17 knots, has pretty good sized fish hold plus a tote.
kingsalmon

Post by kingsalmon »

jetstream, got anymore info on that boat? price ? is it listed for sale?
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

Crashing my thread Kingsalmon ? I sent a PM to him but have no message back yet. Good luck in your search..
kingsalmon

Post by kingsalmon »

no no... thought you were looking for a cruiser to convert...
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

Just kidding around. Its probably out of my budget anyway. If I get a reply I will let you know.
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Just texted Kevin and he said it is still for sale asking 50,000 very low hour volvo diesel with newer dual prop outdrive, trolling poles and hayrack, I can give you the guys phone if you want to call me. Rich at 206-459-3755, he is serious about selling,
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

Its all you Kingsalmon. I am wrapping up a deal on a 36 Californian with twin Perkins.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Oldschool 1, sounds like you found a boat. Is the boat ready to fish or do you need to do the retrofitting you were talking about in your first post?
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

Yes Trnaround, I get the keys today or tomorrow. Its a 36 Californian trawler cruiser, its rigged with a BBQ. LOL. I will rig it for tuna this year, I have a hyd. pump and tons of line and gear, need poles and a puller. But first things first, I need to get it from Elliott Bay Seattle to Westport. Watching the weather for next week, not to good as of now. Want to do some prep to it anyway. The survey came in above average and it ran great, autopilot,radar, ect works good. I had bottom cleaned and zinks during the survey haul out. So it all begins $$
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Well good sounds like you've got a plan and lots to keep you busy this winter. Enjoy your adventures and of course the BBQ.
Oldschool 1

Post by Oldschool 1 »

Its in Westport now. All went well, about 220 miles at 7 kts , didn't want to push it to hard. Refueled at Neah Bay , 120 miles for 60 gals. Im ok with that. Now the work begins.