Numbers

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Siskiyous
Spammer?: No

Numbers

Post by Siskiyous »

During the season of course I only shared my numbers with my partners. And, of course once you unload they become part of the fish rumors. But, now that the season is over I wonder how well I did in comparison to other boats.

I got the boat on July 13 and ended my season about Oct 16, I worked Brookings the first two weeks and Bandon to the Umpqua River for the rest of the season and landed 680 Chinook at about a 10 pound average. We caught one fish that the buyer weighted at 45 pounds, First week of September we had 100 fish in two days.

I lost one week to a breakdown, and a couple more days to minor equipment problems. I did not fish tough weather for the most part, but there were only two or three days when a couple bigger boats were out and we were not.

Am I breaking taboo to talk about the season this way? I want to know if I am doing things right or needing improvement.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Numbers

Post by Salty »

Siskiyous,
Many of us do not talk about specific numbers for the season, either fish, pounds, or $$$. n I ask my crew to keep confidential both the percentage i pay them and their total income. Even on a daily basis I have stopped counting the numbers of chum, pinks, and sometimes even coho. On Chinook, because there are so few, I usually know what I caught that day and generally what the trip numbers are, but not always.
Only my accountant and my wife/bookkeeper, know for sure what I am making. For example, right now I know my number of kings salmon within a handful or so I caught this month. But, I have no idea how many I caught this year, how many pounds or $ they were worth. I used to keep track of every salmon and every trip in numbers, pounds, and $$$. What a waste of effort mostly to sate some competitive ego that didn't do me or anyone else any good.
Now, I seldom exchange numbers of fish, even with my closest partners, unless they specifically ask and/or I believe it is helpful. I used to want to know what the "highliners" were doing and how I measured up. Then I realized it didn't really matter, what matters is whether I was doing "my best" given my boat, my experience, my crew, my passion, or lack of it for the fishery. And I don't say this as a way of rationalizing poor or mediocre performance. I say this to communicate how I have found satisfaction in the fishery.
As I approach the end of my fishing career what has given me the most satisfaction is the contributions I have made to conserve and sustain the fishery. The ideas I have shared to help people. The regulations I have fought for to improve the fishery. The handling standard to improve fish handling and quality I have worked for and am still fighting for.

So, the answer to your question from my perspective: No taboo per se' on sharing production and wondering how you measure up. But, maybe it doesn't or ought not matter much.
Siskiyous

Post by Siskiyous »

That is a great way to look at it. Thank you.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

Everyone on my dock knows everyones' catch as soon as we're back from a trip. The usual guys get more and the usual guys get less. Before cell phones and texting, radios were alive with information, now not so much. Sounds to me like you did pretty good...I haven't tallied my catch so can't give you any numbers